Bridgewater Somerset - a quick query for locals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm just doing a spot of route planning for a ride in April/ May and it looks like there are no bridges over the River Parrett between central Bridgewater and Burrowbridge (apart from the M5!) Is this really the case?

Ideally my route (coming from Taunton and heading north to Winscombe) would cross the river at Northmoor Green but the locals have rather selfishly never built a bridge there! Can such a small river really have 7 or so bridgeless miles? (No wonder the place is called Bridgewater- they clearly celebrate the few crossings they have). Given this lack of crossings, does anyone know if you can lug a bike over the shared railway / ped bridge just north of the M5 in southern Bridgewater to avoid having to go all the way into the town centre? (Google Streetview helpfully shows a cyclist at the south end of the bridge though of course you can't tell whether she's been over bridge or not!)

Simon_m

Guru
Coming from Somerset as it is, I would avoid Bridgewater at all costs anyway lol :whistle:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Coming from Somerset as it is, I would avoid Bridgewater at all costs anyway lol :whistle:

I'm hoping to avoid all towns if I can tbh, especially the bigger ones. It's only Liverpool, Preston and Edinburgh I can't see any easy ways around. My plan is to shoot through'em without stopping!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
From Taunton, take the canal path (route 3) up into Bridgewater. If you use the OSM option on bikehike, you'll be able to see it. Alternatively, take the hillier route on the eastern edge of the Quantocks, going through North Petherton. I've done both to get to Bridgewater, the canal path is much easier!!

Davidc

Guru
There's only one E in Bridgwater!!!!!!!!*

That's because the Bridg doesn't refer to a bridge. (I've forgotten what it is but it's not the only one in England and is Saxon or Norse and I read that it's the same root as that for Brugge (Bruges) in the Netherlands)

I've used that railway bridge a number of times but would never contemplate it loaded. It's not that far round the Coffeejo way, but I'd avoid Bridgwater outside the main daytime hours!

An alternative Taunton to Winscombe is to go to North Curry (through Ham) then follow the Exmouth Exodus route in reverse to Cheddar, cross to Axbridge and use the Strawberry Line path. The EE route can be found from a link on the EE website.

* as has just been pointed out to me since I said there were none in the original post.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice all- really useful and apologies for the miss- spelling. I'll probably take the canal route from Taunton and won't try to carry a loaded bike over the railway bridge. The North Curry Route looks good too but seems to take in a few extra hills and I was looking forward to a bit of flat after the hills of Devon and Cornwall. I guess central Bridgwater it is then. It's a bit of a long way round but so be it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
There's only one E in Bridgwater!!!!!!!!*

That's because the Bridg doesn't refer to a bridge. (I've forgotten what it is but it's not the only one in England and is Saxon or Norse and I read that it's the same root as that for Brugge (Bruges) in the Netherlands)

:blush:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1695767, member: 76"]I am in Bridgwater right now! It's not that bad really, although I did hear they were opening a new theme park "The Deliverance Experience", may just be a rumour though. It doesn't smell anymore either, the Alcan factory has been demolished.

Why would you want to go to Burrowbridge to get to Winscombe? It is much more sensible to go to Bridgwater, then head east to Woolavington, across the Levels to Cheddar, at which point you pick up the Strawberry Line to Winscombe. Cheddar Cycles is at the Cheddar end of the Strawberry Line.

By the way, looking around the town, I think you'll find that there was no need for a bridge, as most locals have enormous webbed feet and just walk across, using their knuckles for balance:wacko:[/quote]

We have similar folks hereabouts on the Fens! Yes you are right, Burrowbridge would be well out of the way, but due to the surprising lack of bridges, it was either that or Bridgwater. The perfect line for my route would have been a crossing at Northmoor Green. It's a narrow river though, so maybe a ramp and enough speed might get me over it!

I have discovered the old railway line route from Winscombe from the map (I didn't know its name though), and plan to use that on my way on up to Yatton and ultimately Avonmouth and the old Severn Bridge to Chepstow.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
We have similar folks hereabouts on the Fens! Yes you are right, Burrowbridge would be well out of the way, but due to the surprising lack of bridges, it was either that or Bridgwater. The perfect line for my route would have been a crossing at Northmoor Green. It's a narrow river though, so maybe a ramp and enough speed might get me over it!

I have discovered the old railway line route from Winscombe from the map (I didn't know its name though), and plan to use that on my way on up to Yatton and ulimately Avonmouth and the old Severn Bridge to Chepstow.
When you get to Yatton, stop and have coffee and cake at the cafe in the station. :mrpig: :hungry:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The cafe at Maunsel Lock on the canal is also very good. :whistle:

Where will you be before you get to Taunton? For some reason, I seem to be well acquainted with the cafes in this area :blush:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'll be heading in from N. Cornwall so Tarka Trail after Holsworthy to Barnstaple, then on to Taunton via Brayford, Dulverton then Sustrans Route 3 all the way to Taunton. I'm looking forward to the cake stops already!

Top Bottom