Brief venture into the dark side - my first fixed gear build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Don't tell the classic and vintage peeps but here's my pre 53 Humber fixed gear rebuild.

Just a word of caution for any other noob person, changing an old 3 speed into a fixed gear is not as straight forward as it would seem.

Major headaches to spread front forks and rear stays to take modern wheels. Next headache was that the axles didn't fit into the forks. Quick measure, mark and a dremmel and voila, they fit like a dream.

Would think twice about doing another, but it was good practice.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 58
Good stuff, but methinks you have made a mistake with the title, gears are the dark side :smile:.

Shaun

Founder
Love the look of the saddle (is it as comfy as it looks?) - but I'm not really feeling the blue bar tape vs the green rims (sorry, but one colour or the other for me) - well done though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
The handlebar tape is green ( or maybe turquoise). It looks good in the flesh. The saddle was a cheapo eBay bargain for less than £5 delivered and it's ok. Not ridden it far as I'm a non cyclist, just do them up for my son.

Shaun

Founder
The handlebar tape is green ( or maybe turquoise). It looks good in the flesh. The saddle was a cheapo eBay bargain for less than £5 delivered and it's ok. Not ridden it far as I'm a non cyclist, just do them up for my son.

Ah, I see - I did wonder if the photo wasn't doing the colour justice. :thumbsup: I take it the saddle isn't leather then?

I like it, job well done.

As far as cold setting frames goes, AASHTA.

I've always used the threaded bar method myself, works well, is simple and cheap to arrange, and gives a great level of control when your doing the job.

Hello tony. Nice job on the bike.

That saddle, was it stock eBay shop or a one off private sale. I am looking for cheap similar. If you have a link, I would be grateful

Top Bottom