Brifter indication not right ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have had this issue before but do you think I can remember how I sorted it .

Ribble frame built and used for a max of 100 miles previous owner wanted flat bars so fitted full Sora mechs and chain wheel but used Shimano brifters as below then it sat unused for 8 years due to issue below causing him confusion .

IMG_20190526_151658384.jpg

IMG_20190526_151743663.jpg

Problem is when the indicator is at 7 it's actually in first gear and when its in 7th it register's 1st .

I remember having the same issue before but I can't remember what I did to sort it ?

Any ideas ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Recalibrate your brain.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Must admit it's not a major issue and you are right it would just be nice to remedy it
Are you sure it's ever been the other way round? I mean the gears on a bike aren't really defined by number as such, it's just a handy little guide. I'm struggling to work out how it could have worked the other way.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Are you sure it's ever been the other way round? I mean the gears on a bike aren't really defined by number as such, it's just a handy little guide. I'm struggling to work out how it could have worked the other way.

On this bike it has only ever worked as stated , but i thought i had the same issue on another bike and i fixed it but i can't remember if it was a simple fix or if i replaced the brifters . Looking at below link looks like 2 option one using a rapid rise rear mechanism

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-EF28-7T_8T-1939A.pdf

winjim

Smash the cistern
On this bike it has only ever worked as stated , but i thought i had the same issue on another bike and i fixed it but i can't remember if it was a simple fix or if i replaced the brifters . Looking at below link looks like 2 option one using a rapid rise rear mechanism

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-EF28-7T_8T-1939A.pdf
I was just thinking of rapid rise actually. That must be it. As an aside, the only time I've used one was on holiday in France, so I had to deal with both the brakes being the wrong way round and the rear mech working backwards. That was a weird ride.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm not sure that in over 60 years I've ever known which is 'first' gear is on a bike. I've always thought in terms of high and low. High being smallest cog at the back, low the biggest - enlighten me please.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wouldn't be bothered. So long as it works correctly. I'd rather not have indicators as they are a waste of 'weight'. I think my 1990's LX shifters have an indicator but I can't actually see it when riding.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wouldn't you disconnect the cable, reset the shifter to 1 then reconnect?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have had this issue before but do you think I can remember how I sorted it .

Ribble frame built and used for a max of 100 miles previous owner wanted flat bars so fitted full Sora mechs and chain wheel but used Shimano brifters as below then it sat unused for 8 years due to issue below causing him confusion .
That's really sad. My legs have always indicated what gear I'm in

Rapid Rise as mentioned earlier by the ever-alert @winjim. Rapid Rise is Shimano's brand name for a low normal RD. Low normal means that when you remove the cable, it defaults to first gear. High normal, like the rest of us, defaults to X'th gear (i.e. 7th or 8th or 9th or 10th or 11th or 12th).

If you mix a Low normal RD with a High normal shifter (and vice versa), confusion is what you get.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Rapid Rise as mentioned earlier by the ever-alert @winjim. Rapid Rise is Shimano's brand name for a low normal RD. Low normal means that when you remove the cable, it defaults to first gear. High normal, like the rest of us, defaults to X'th gear (i.e. 7th or 8th or 9th or 10th or 11th or 12th).

If you mix a Low normal RD with a High normal shifter (and vice versa), confusion is what you get.
To be fair, @biggs682 mentioned it first. At the time it occurred to me I was busy changing the baby's nappy and couldn't get to my phone.

Top Bottom