Bright flashing front bike light in daylight - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

It is most unreasonable and selfish to use measures to ensure your own safety which endanger other people. He would be seen without the blinding light which is distracting and irritating other road users to the detriment of road safety in the vicinity. Unfortunately it is some innocent who is more likely to suffer rather than the culprit with the light.

It is very hard to see a cyclist if you are driving into the sunset. With a light it's so much easier to spot them.

I drive HGV for a living at the moment in the evenings and it's a nightmare. Just tonight I came across a daft cow doing 50 in a 30, a car drive into the back of another car, 3 mobile users, 2 smoker drivers, a woman looking at herself in rear view mirror and swerving about and countless people driving in the cycle lanes for no reason .

Few days ago I saw someone not notice a speed camera, then slam on and end up in someones garden.

A few weeks ago I saw a driver only see a cyclist at the last second, they swerved and flipped their car.

A few months ago on a dual carriageway some lad was gassing to his gf and he just drove straight into the back of me in my car at 60.

Every single day I see things like these.

The roads are full of inconsiderate dunces, and as the most vulnerable road user you need to do everything you can to stay safe and seen.

A bright flashing light during the day does bugger all to anyone apart from show them you are there. But yeah you get the odd muppet that stares at it like a rabbit then complains it's too bright, well that really is, and has to be, their problem.

It's a non issue, if you have a good head on you.

I spend more time on the roads than most, and I appreciate the cyclists that make themselves easily seen. So I don't end up killing them and in a bit of trouble mainly lol.

But yesssssssssss you neeed to be careful regarding angles of bright lights at night. Red rears not a problem though <100 lumens.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
I also look at other cyclists when I'm a passenger in a car and I look to see how far away I see them and which part of them I see first. I've noticed that in the daytime, I always see anything white first whether it's on the bike or clothing and I see white before I see lights. Flashing lights are impossible to judge distance.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No lol.

Pretty obvious you are less likely to blend into anything during the day, using a bright light. And are more likely to be seen.

Why things are seen:
  • Shape
  • Shadow
  • Silhouette
  • Movement
  • Spacing
  • Position
  • Texture
  • Colour
  • Noise
  • Shine

At night it's a bit different with the really bright lights, regarding blending in with other lights. And overly bright lights at night make it difficult to judge distance and speed.
Ahh. The "pretty obvious" school of scientific investigation.

Please go read "The Invisible Gorilla" et al. Studies suggest the likelihood of you being seen has very little to do with your own appearance and behaviour and everything to do with the expectations of the person doing the looking.

The drivers who look and see will see a cyclist without blinky blinkies, but still may not drive appropriately, whilst the drivers who look but don't see won't see even if the cyclist is lit up like a Xtmas tree and dressed like a space lemon, and they certainly won't drive appropriately as a result.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The roads are full of inconsiderate dunces, and as the most vulnerable road user you need to do everything you can to stay safe and seen.

So the responsibility for the safety of a vulnerable road user is to be transferred to them and away from the "inconsiderate dunces"? What a splendidly motor-centric mindset.

Nothing you can do is going to change the outcome if you come across one of these nobber inconsiderates who is, in effect driving blind on auto-pilot. Your own post lists plenty of example of noober drivers colliding with things. Do you really think it would have made a difference if the things were space lemon coloured and lit up like Christmas trees?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You see him, that's the point. He is trying to stay safe as he is a vulnerable road user that can be killed very easily.
I think the sort of people that are going to see you, would see you lit or unlit, because they're observing the road properly, and the opposite for those that are going to SMIDSY you.

All the times I've been hit, I've been done up like 6'2" of radioactive banana, to (evidently) little effect. Most of the conspicuity stuff I do is about making possible insurance claims less of a bloody hassle, if I'm honest with myself.

BSRU

A Human Being
My personal anecdotal evidence is that a flashing front light has considerably reduced the number of SMIDSY's at junctions.
Will never eliminate them as too many drivers are blind or just don't look, I've seen someone pull out on a police with all lights and sirens on:headshake:

I'll use daytime running lights if it is a bit dull or looks like it may rain but its only usually my secondary light. Not in bright summer daylight though.

@Ganymede they maybe don't realise how blinding it is, could be one for having a quiet word if you get near enough to advise them for everyones benefit.
My interpretation has always to look at the immediate environment.

If vehile lights are making a difference then I will put mine on, if they are not, mine stay in the panniers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My interpretation has always to look at the immediate environment.

If vehile lights are making a difference then I will put mine on, if they are not, mine stay in the panniers.
I've surrended my fate to the Germans. B + M Lumotec IQ Cyo T senso plus 60 lux left permanently in night position. Running lights up front all the time and a full beam when the sensors decide.

Nothing to do with visibility cos the nobbers look but don't see. Everything to do with potential litigation. As per #36.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My personal anecdotal evidence is that a flashing front light has considerably reduced the number of SMIDSY's at junctions.

My personal experience is the opposite: when I stopped using a flashing light (replaced by a steady) fewer drivers pulled out. I put it down to them not being able to identify me as 'only a cyclist' until it is too late.

GC

Jameshopper

Hi all, after reading the various arguments for / against, i've come to the conclusion that a non blinding flashing light on the front cant hurt.
Having ended up in a&e after someone pulled out on me, if there's even a 1% increased chance that someone else will see me then i'll take it.
When he did pull out on me, it was a bright, clear day and i was in my yellow banana top as my missus likes to call it.
Having said that, there will still be numpties that just dont look, regardless.

Jameshopper

Yep, absolutely a minimum of 1% increased chance. I didnt have one, he didnt see me. I cant have a reduced chance of having been seen, so it must be either an increased chance or the same. That there is a 50/50 split. So, with a light, i'd have a 50% increased chance of having been seen.
Stands to reason. :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yep, absolutely a minimum of 1% increased chance. I didnt have one, he didnt see me. I cant have a reduced chance of having been seen, so it must be either an increased chance or the same. That there is a 50/50 split. So, with a light, i'd have a 50% increased chance of having been seen.
Stands to reason. :whistle:
:rofl:

Top Bottom