Bring back The Cold War

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Noodley said:
There ain't any decent spy stories/movies anymore - Muslims are a crap enemy :blush:
You knew where you were with the Russkies...

Definitely - the happiest times of my life. The little things in life were so much richer with the ever present fear of imminent nuclear apocalypse.

Rebuild the Berlin wall, reshow the Protect & Survive films and remake the last load of Bond movies with proper (Russian) villains!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The thing I liked about the Russians was they didn't want to die any more than we did.

Religeous fanatics worry me though. I mean, I'd seriously consider a bit of suicide bombing myself if I genuinely believed it would net me 72 virgins.

I'd prefer 72 dirty slags mind, but I could always corrupt the virgins. Surely some of them would take it up the arse.

Abitrary

Noodley said:
There ain't any decent spy stories/movies anymore - Muslims are a crap enemy :blush:

Too right... I'm even watching the 4th protocol right now I'm so desperate for a bit of political treachery

Bigtallfatbloke

All the best spy films were pre cold war based....even stuff like Red october wouldnt work without the nasty ruskies...compared to the 'new enemy' they had a certain style, almost like a code of honour type thing (at least in the films).

However the reality of the Berlin wall was somewhat different ...the day it came down was a huge day in my wifes family.

Abitrary

The best thing about the soviet communist threat was the double agent thing... you never knew who was an agent, a double agent, or even a triple agent.

Spycatcher by Peter Wright, the one maggie tried to ban is a fascinating read. Burgess, McClean, Anthony Blunt... one of the queens court... all sleeping spies since they were recruited at Cambridge.

All seems to be brushed under the carpet in the media these days. I used to relish a pic of Kim Philby in his russian hat enjoying his moscow retirement.

Bigtallfatbloke

The best thing about the soviet communist threat was the double agent thing... you never knew who was an agent, a double agent, or even a triple agent.

wrong...the best thing was that the Russian spy was usually a hot girl in a fur coat with nothing on underneath...or did you forget?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bigtallfatbloke said:
wrong...the best thing was that the Russian spy was usually a hot girl in a fur coat with nothing on underneath...or did you forget?
[hot girl in fur coat speaks] Dat's oll ferry fine, but eef you vant access to the Urals, you haff to get my coat off first [fade to cheesy music as coat slips off]

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Spoken in a Sean Connery slur, " Quite so, Vladka, and there's a cold wind blowing up the Trossachs"

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Smokin Joe said:
The thing I liked about the Russians was they didn't want to die any more than we did.

Religeous fanatics worry me though. I mean, I'd seriously consider a bit of suicide bombing myself if I genuinely believed it would net me 72 virgins.

I'd prefer 72 dirty slags mind, but I could always corrupt the virgins. Surely some of them would take it up the arse.

There's a bit of a debate on this matter amongst Islamic theologians. Apparently "virgins" could be a wrong translation of a word meaning "raisins".

Picture the scene: Osama bin Liner gets to heaven and St Pete hands him a bag of fruit. "Here are your raisins mate. Good'ns too. Fresh in today from California."

asterix

Comrade Member
..at the end of the day and in the final analysis, muslim fundamentalists just aren't sexy. Hence the suicidal lure of a martyr's reception in paradise - they don't get enough down here.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
User76 said:
I think it was also something about keeping the filthy Russkies at bay, behind their Iron Curtain. Only a thin line of brave but fearless Allied soldiers between freedom and the 3rd Shock Army. Spetsnaz troops parachuting in dressed as nuns and vicars, enoromous NATO exercises being watched from a trillion feet by Bear spy planes:biggrin:

-?

And then into the unit bar on Friday afternoon to get slaughtered. I miss 3 Shock Army. Old Gorby has got a lot to answer for. Islamic loonies have indeed got no style by comparison.

Top Bottom