1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring back The Cold War

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Noodley, 2 Apr 2008.

1. Noodley

Noodley Guest

There ain't any decent spy stories/movies anymore - Muslims are a crap enemy :blush:

2. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

You knew where you were with the Russkies...

3. dmoan

dmoan Über Member

Definitely - the happiest times of my life. The little things in life were so much richer with the ever present fear of imminent nuclear apocalypse.

Rebuild the Berlin wall, reshow the Protect & Survive films and remake the last load of Bond movies with proper (Russian) villains!

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I bet. You're a sociologist aren't you? :blush:

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

The thing I liked about the Russians was they didn't want to die any more than we did.

Religeous fanatics worry me though. I mean, I'd seriously consider a bit of suicide bombing myself if I genuinely believed it would net me 72 virgins.

I'd prefer 72 dirty slags mind, but I could always corrupt the virgins. Surely some of them would take it up the arse.

6. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

With the 'oil dollars' pouring into Russia and Putin still ruling the roost, I think the cold war is already underway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

Too right... I'm even watching the 4th protocol right now I'm so desperate for a bit of political treachery

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

All the best spy films were pre cold war based....even stuff like Red october wouldnt work without the nasty ruskies...compared to the 'new enemy' they had a certain style, almost like a code of honour type thing (at least in the films).

However the reality of the Berlin wall was somewhat different ...the day it came down was a huge day in my wifes family.

9. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

The best thing about the soviet communist threat was the double agent thing... you never knew who was an agent, a double agent, or even a triple agent.

Spycatcher by Peter Wright, the one maggie tried to ban is a fascinating read. Burgess, McClean, Anthony Blunt... one of the queens court... all sleeping spies since they were recruited at Cambridge.

All seems to be brushed under the carpet in the media these days. I used to relish a pic of Kim Philby in his russian hat enjoying his moscow retirement.

10. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

wrong...the best thing was that the Russian spy was usually a hot girl in a fur coat with nothing on underneath...or did you forget?

11. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

[hot girl in fur coat speaks] Dat's oll ferry fine, but eef you vant access to the Urals, you haff to get my coat off first [fade to cheesy music as coat slips off]

12. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Spoken in a Sean Connery slur, " Quite so, Vladka, and there's a cold wind blowing up the Trossachs"

13. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

There's a bit of a debate on this matter amongst Islamic theologians. Apparently "virgins" could be a wrong translation of a word meaning "raisins".

Picture the scene: Osama bin Liner gets to heaven and St Pete hands him a bag of fruit. "Here are your raisins mate. Good'ns too. Fresh in today from California."

14. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

..at the end of the day and in the final analysis, muslim fundamentalists just aren't sexy. Hence the suicidal lure of a martyr's reception in paradise - they don't get enough down here.

15. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I think it was also something about keeping the filthy Russkies at bay, behind their Iron Curtain. Only a thin line of brave but fearless Allied soldiers between freedom and the 3rd Shock Army. Spetsnaz troops parachuting in dressed as nuns and vicars, enoromous NATO exercises being watched from a trillion feet by Bear spy planes:biggrin:

Now though, it's less tangible, Muslim extremists don't wear stripey camouflage and arrive in droves with bayonets fixed and shells of nerve gas streaming overhead (blimey you should see the blisters, GAS GAS GAS). They are just not visible enough to kill a land-rover full with a well placed claymore. And taking up Fnarrs point, a foxy Russian chick slipping out of a mink coat to reveal a suspender belt and a small pistol (:smile:) has somewhat more allure than someone slipping out of a burkha to reveal a bloke with an AK47 and a suicide belt ;)