Bristol- Barry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Anyone from oop north done this Friday night ride?

If so what trains did you use? At first glance it looks like a round trip is coming out at around £100
Have I missed a trick?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tips from down south....
1. You're too early for advance tickets, they usually go on sale twelve weeks in advance. Trying the National Rail planner now for 12 weeks in advance might be an indication of advance pricing. 26 April I think is the current forward limit.
2. Split ticketing may work- try https://new.trainsplit.com/ (but buy your tickets elsewhere, so you save their cut)...speaking of which...
3. Hull Trains website will let you book the train and make the cycle reservation at the same time...

(Not planning to use my outward ticket for this one, again....)

StuAff

Bump....advance fares are available now, and have been for a week or so (at least, in my case, for the outward leg, not the return, grr). Missed out on the very cheapest ones, but if I don't collect it I can get a full refund ;)

Sometimes, the biggest problem with big cycling rides, is that public transport becomes overwhelmed with cyclists and cannot cope! Like the BHF rides in London & Brighton. This sometimes puts me off trying bigger rides.

StuAff

Sometimes, the biggest problem with big cycling rides, is that public transport becomes overwhelmed with cyclists and cannot cope! Like the BHF rides in London & Brighton. This sometimes puts me off trying bigger rides.
No danger with this one....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Remember to check for the ferry times to Barry Island. They're not on the web so you'll need to ask a passing local on the day

StuAff

Also registered. Have just found out there's engineering work between Bristol & Westbury/Swindon on that Saturday and Sunday. Yes, the dreaded rail replacement buses....****!!!

StuAff

Also registered. Have just found out there's engineering work between Bristol & Westbury/Swindon on that Saturday and Sunday. Yes, the dreaded rail replacement buses....****!!!
And it gets worse. Single from Cardiff-Fratton via the lines that are running (or at least, showing on the Journey Planner as running, which is from past experience not always the same thing) £90.80....I think I'll be elsewhere. Bugrit.

StuAff

Have withdrawn. Return trip means either £90.80 (on the Paddington line, change at Reading, bike reservation needed), or via the replacement bus service (hope I get on with Chutney the folder, or ride Bristol-Westbury, and nope to that). Grrr. Next year, hopefully....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What time are peeps getting to Brizzle? I booked an early-ish train a while back thinking I'd want time to eat beforehand, but my friend Dennis has brought sarnies on the train and now I'm not hungry.

Top Bottom