Bristol/Bath RW Path - Motorbikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsienk

>>completely unjustified in desecrating the memory of a life in that way.

Don't agree. Glad he's dead. Better him, than somebody else killed or injured by him in his later life (if he lived). Maybe in his next life he has some brains.

asterix

Comrade Member
Hasn't this thread made it to 'soapbox' yet;)

OP
OP
A

alfablue

I was really hoping (probably an act of futility) for a discussion of ideas to deal with the problem, and / or experiences of other path users....the muscle flexing is entertaining though!

Arch

Married to Night Train
alfablue said:
I was really hoping (probably an act of futility) for a discussion of ideas to deal with the problem, and / or experiences of other path users....the muscle flexing is entertaining though!

Yeah, let's drag ourselves back to the point...;)

Ways of dealing with the problem? Sadly,the most effective are the most expensive and difficult - more policing (either by police, or maybe wardens or rangers of some sort) and a change in attitude to the wrong doers - community pressure and education. Whether you get the latter probably depends on whether the wrong doers come from that community or not...

The relatively cheaper solutions - pinchpoints and gates and so on never seem to work, and just inconvenience rightful users, especially if they happen to be on a trike, or tandem or have a trailer.

In my experience, the main area in York for encountering motorbikes is on the Foss Islands Route, which runs through the dodgier areas of town (although I have to say, I haven't used it for a while, and I think part of it has know been swept away by a new road). The York/Selby route is normally fine, but then it runs mostly across the racecourse, and through the village of Bishopthorpe, which is fairly 'nice'. I have once seen mini-motorbikes being used there - by a grown up bloke and his kid, who I suspect had no idea that the dratted things are illegal outside private land... Passing on my trike, it was so tempting to just extend a hand and push one of them off, but I didn't fancy my chances at outrunning them...

Tetedelacourse

Other than muscle-flexing:o), surely the only remedy is the old bill. Maybe a reflection of the wider need for more bobbys back on the beat. But that's definitely one for Soapbox!

Alternatively, if you're not already, become a fully clad King of Lycra and take to the road and to hang with the paths!

OP
OP
A

alfablue

Hi Arch

Last year the barriers and pinch points were removed from the path, which I think was a good thing (they make passing with panniers tricky, and I am sure more so with a trike or recumbant). I am not sure they would have really stopped motorbikes anyway, particularly mini-ones, and there are also many "unofficial" access points through the trees anyway.

Last year the police were out on foot and with a van attempting to catch 'em on a couple of occasions (not sure how successful they were), and they put warning notices up, which were vandalised.

I don't think it is happening too often, but when it does, and a motorbike zooms past totally without warning, it is quite scary, more than if one passed on the road as they get very close, the path is often narrow, and they tend to drive crazily.

I haven't yet had a response from my email to the policeman (maybe he's on holiday) so I will try and escalate it with them.

OP
OP
A

alfablue

Tetedelacourse said:
Other than muscle-flexing:o), surely the only remedy is the old bill. Maybe a reflection of the wider need for more bobbys back on the beat. But that's definitely one for Soapbox!

Alternatively, if you're not already, become a fully clad King of Lycra and take to the road and to hang with the paths!
I couldn't really give up the Railway Path - it is (apart from this) truly fantastic, it takes me 20 miles completely off road, and travel times are faster than by car at some times of the day.

Arch

Married to Night Train
alfablue said:
I am not sure they would have really stopped motorbikes anyway, particularly mini-ones, and there are also many "unofficial" access points through the trees anyway.

That's the annoying thing - they inconvenience legit users and the scroats just find a way round...

bonj2

johnsienk said:
>>completely unjustified in desecrating

Hang on, I don't agree with the word 'desecration'. It basically just means 'destroyed', but when they want to make it sound a bit more sentimental than a destroying, so they've had to choose a new word. it was probably only invented for this purpose.

Road Fiddler

Alfablue in future report it to the police, They only know about this sort of behaviour in an area if it is reported, the more it is reported the more resources they will throw at it.

As for motorbikes on footpaths the police have a national campaign to stop this and they will take it very seriously. Some police forces are using the helos to catch these people so report it in future. it helps if you have a reg and description but many of the small bikes dont have reg plates so dont worry if you dont get one. The important thing for police is to have the intelligence of where this is happening so the can deal with it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj;37896][quote name= said:
desecrating[/b]

Hang on, I don't agree with the word 'desecration'. It basically just means 'destroyed', but when they want to make it sound a bit more sentimental than a destroying, so they've had to choose a new word. it was probably only invented for this purpose.[/QUOTE]

And once again, bonj treats us all to his startling new theories on the English language. And remember folks, any dictionary you use to argue the point will be dismissed as "tinpot" or "all made up, anyway..."