FNRttC Bristol to Barry Island 25th May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Also note that because some riders tend to treat these GPX tracks as carved in stone by Moses and carried down the mountain hence never to be disobeyed, if there is a questionable junction, maybe a missing or hidden waymarker, there's a danger that instead of stopping and having a think and maybe the All Upper making a phone call, some bright spark will claim they know the way and lead off into the wilderness, thus splitting the ride.

kimble

Veteran
Also note that because some riders tend to treat these GPX tracks as carved in stone by Moses and carried down the mountain hence never to be disobeyed, if there is a questionable junction, maybe a missing or hidden waymarker, there's a danger that instead of stopping and having a think and maybe the All Upper making a phone call, some bright spark will claim they know the way and lead off into the wilderness, thus splitting the ride.

Quite. None of which means they aren't useful for peering at the map and setting one's expectations regarding geography, or for feeding into your GPS unit so it can give you a running estimate of how far there is to go or whatever. Just don't try to navigate by anything other than the way-markers during the ride!

kimble

Veteran
Meanwhile, is it really going to stop raining? I'm currently being indecisive about whether to use the fast bike that's miserable when it's wet but a joy on the flat or the heavy tourer that can cope with anything. On the plus side, it means I've given both a once-over.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Have a great ride everyone....
Only just seen this thread, would definitely be up for the next one from Bristol.

#ridesafe...... :okay:

OP
OP
U

User482

It has stopped raining in Bristol city centre and the forecast remains dry, mild and a north easterly breeze.

The route is not the same as last year's! I did have a couple of people go off the front last time (who I'd stupidly given the route to) and they went the wrong way because there is an error on the mapping, and it doesn't indicate a turn you have to make. I also changed the route at the last minute to avoid roadworks that had a temporary prohibition on cycling.

So those are the reasons why I'm not distributing the gpx...

See you all later. Looking forward to it.

Serge

Über Member
It has stopped raining in Bristol city centre and the forecast remains dry, mild and a north easterly breeze.

The route is not the same as last year's! I did have a couple of people go off the front last time (who I'd stupidly given the route to) and they went the wrong way because there is an error on the mapping, and it doesn't indicate a turn you have to make. I also changed the route at the last minute to avoid roadworks that had a temporary prohibition on cycling.

So those are the reasons why I'm not distributing the gpx...

See you all later. Looking forward to it.
Have fun all, I'm jealous.

sarjaytay

Regular
Right then. Time to get me and Tommie the bike ready for our gig (seeing THE LOVERLY EGGS at the Exchange) and cycle.
See ya later

kimble

Veteran
That was fun! Definitely the right decision to bring the fast bike (not least because it doesn't like crap road surfaces, and Welsh standards of road maintenance - which tend towards the let-it-fall-to-bits-then-fix-it-properly approach - are far better than what I have to put up with in the Wet Midlands / Worcestershire / Warwickshire). Who knew that Wales could be so flat? The tea room at Goldcliff was delightful, in a quirky enthusiasm sort of way. Bonus points for warmth and little in the way of rain (other than the shower that put me off riding back to Cardiff).

In a break from tradition, there didn't appear to be a hen party on my train home. Instead I randomly woke up to the sight of a bloke in a pink and yellow lycra morris dancing / cowboy / gay superhero costume queuing for the loo. Once he was [not so] safely inside, his normally-dressed companion explained that it was his third stag-night and he would be allowed to get married after this one. Then the faulty toilet door randomly did its thing, and while I was safely out of sight from the horrors it revealed, I did get to witness the reactions (flustered embarrassment, giggling fit and reaching for the camera, respectively) of those who weren't so fortunate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom