Bristol to Bath cycle path closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
Does anyone know how long the path is due to close for. There are numerous signs Bath side of the fishponds tunnel saying it's closing from next week but they all have different times ranging from 9 weeks to 30 odd?

I can't seem to find any real information online it seems.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm assuming 9 weeks from next week. I think this is the divirsion route they are suggesting but I might take a slightly different route or vary it depending on which direction I'm going in once I try it. I don't always go down the B2BRP so I wouldn't mind if you let me know once you spot it is actually closed.
B2Bdiversion.jpg

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Arghhhh. Well having been off work last week since the path closed I forgot about this until this morning at 5.30am when I was struggling against the wind and rain. The signage for the diversion couldn't be less clear and yes I did get totally lost and went around in a circle for approx 25 minutes.

Why the hell the council haven't put separate signs for cyclists and road traffic baffles me. If you follow the diversion signs then they just lead you a merry dance with a number now moved, hidden behind other items such as BT junction boxes or pushed over buy the weather/drunks over the weekend. It was after coming around in a big circle that I remembered the map above so thanks @summerdays and then managed to get to acacia avenue and the path. All in all what is about 1500 meters or so took about 40 minutes but lesson learnt and I thought I knew Bristol but it seems in a downpour in the pitch black I can't navigate for toffee....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I came across it for the first time last week, when I needed to rush home as one child had forgotten their keys and seemed to think we should be nice to him because he was going to have to stand outside for over an hour!

I would have been lost, if it wasn't for following other cyclists who seemed to know the way. I just followed the line but I guess there isn't that many when you are commuting.

Another tip I picked up on Facebook or Twitter was not to go down to the temporary traffic lights where the diversion seemed to be pointing and get stuck in that traffic.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Oh I went through the lights, back over the path and then back through the lights on the first loop. I now have looked on Google maps and have a far better route planned for later and if it's faster and straightforward I will use that again in the morning. Bloody useless signs though

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Got home far easier than getting to work. And in the light of day it was easy to spot the dodgy position of the signs and the actual diversion. Got a proper soaking but the ride was good for the soul.

runner

Guru
I came across it for the first time last week, when I needed to rush home as one child had forgotten their keys and seemed to think we should be nice to him because he was going to have to stand outside for over an hour!

I would have been lost, if it wasn't for following other cyclists who seemed to know the way. I just followed the line but I guess there isn't that many when you are commuting.

Another tip I picked up on Facebook or Twitter was not to go down to the temporary traffic lights where the diversion seemed to be pointing and get stuck in that traffic.

do not turn right at Teewell Hill...at the t lights...go straight on and then right and avoid the traffic lights

tadpole

It is safer to come off, on the Clifford Road side, join the thicket ave road, up High street/Broad street. turn off at White lodge road and rejoin at Signal road.
I followed their diversion the first night and not only got stuck at the Traffic lights on Teewell Bridge, (that's is the "dangerously narrow" road Bridge they are working on to make it wider for cars. as it's so dangerous they've decided to direct all the vulnerable cycle and foot traffic on to.) and was struck on the hip by an impatient peanut driving a car, knocking me off my bike. He did stop, but only long enough to call me a fiddle**

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh dear! The sort of well thought out diversions we have come to expect from South Glos really :angry:

Not knowing that area, what makes that route better though I was contemplating going up to the main road myself - it is easy to turn out right onto it? (that's what is putting me off doing it if it will be a pain waiting for a gap). In the morning it would be an easy left turn when the traffic would be likely to be busier.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
I have been giving the diversion a miss and as @tadpole suggests get off on Clifford road side, up kensington road and then acacia ave and then straight along high st/broad st until you reach white lodge road and back down to the path. Less stopping and starting and less chance of getting squeezed by cars.

Top Bottom