Bristol Unicycle CC'er?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Blackwell

Veteran
Location
Clevedon
Did I pass a fellow CC'er yesterday (Wednesday 10th Oct) on his uni-cycle?

I passed you on the Long Aston Cycle lane (just outside Long Ashton) and said a cheery "Good evening".

You are a brave man, I'm not sure I could attempt a Uni in the comfort of my own back yard, let alone commute.

James
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
There is one (well I've seen a few over the years) that I see occasionally, that I recognise and he might have long hair and a red rim on his Unicycle, and I think he has taken it up some of the big hills in Bristol.
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
Found a photo from several years ago of the one I'm thinking of
image.jpg
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
Did I pass a fellow CC'er yesterday (Wednesday 10th Oct) on his uni-cycle?

I passed you on the Long Aston Cycle lane (just outside Long Ashton) and said a cheery "Good evening".

You are a brave man, I'm not sure I could attempt a Uni in the comfort of my own back yard, let alone commute.

Yeah, that was me :becool:. I try to commute on one wheel once a week, but until recently went a different way (I used to park at Leigh Woods, and unicycle there before driving the rest of the way). If I go via Long Ashton, it means I'm doing the full distance (9 miles each way).

I'm a little out of practise on doing that distance, and am feeling it a little today! (so a gentle two wheeled ride today!).
 
OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Veteran
Location
Clevedon
Yeah, that was me :becool:. I try to commute on one wheel once a week, but until recently went a different way (I used to park at Leigh Woods, and unicycle there before driving the rest of the way). If I go via Long Ashton, it means I'm doing the full distance (9 miles each way).

I'm a little out of practise on doing that distance, and am feeling it a little today! (so a gentle two wheeled ride today!).

Ah,
I thought I had read about your uni exploits before on here.

Know how you feel about being worn out. First week back after nearly 9 weeks recuperation, yesterday I tried the commute both ways for the first time, I ache today. Train home tonight I feel.

Enjoy your gentle 2 wheels today.

James
 

classic33

Leg End Member
Did I pass a fellow CC'er yesterday (Wednesday 10th Oct) on his uni-cycle?

I passed you on the Long Aston Cycle lane (just outside Long Ashton) and said a cheery "Good evening".

You are a brave man, I'm not sure I could attempt a Uni in the comfort of my own back yard, let alone commute.

James
You've seen the future?
 

BigAl68

Guru
Location
Bath
Are you the same person I sometimes see on the Bristol to Bath cycle path? If not then there is another person doing their commute in the same crazy way. Either way I commend your cycling individuality
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
Are you the same person I sometimes see on the Bristol to Bath cycle path? If not then there is another person doing their commute in the same crazy way. Either way I commend your cycling individuality

No, that's someone else. I've done the Bristol Bath route several times on one wheel on weekends, but not during commuting hours.
 

compo

Legendary Member
Location
Harlow
I play on a unicycle from time to time when I am in the mood, but 9 miles, crikey and respect.
I like the reaction of the kids around here when I appear on the estate on one wheel. They are most impressed, especially when I let them have a go and they realise it isn't as easy as it looks.
 

adds21

Rider of bikes
Location
North Somerset
I quite often get positive comments from the local kids, although I try to avoid busy places as much as I can! (not easy to blend into the background on a unicycle, but I'm an introverted unicyclist, which in itself is probably unusual!).

A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting to some kids, probably in their mid-teens, who wanted a go ("Man, that's sick"!). They (and I) found it amusing they couldn't even sit on the thing when while being supported by a friend either side. To be fair, I generally ride a 29" wheel, which is a little on the large side.

Supposed to be doing a 30 mile ride next weekend (Glastonbury British Heart Foundation ride) but I'm not feeling too confident about it at the moment, so I have the wife on standby in case I collapse halfway round!
 
Top Bottom