Britain by Bike BBC4 Tonight 20.30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plantfit

Guru
I enjoyed the program, informative about that area of England and nice to see the Dawes doing what it was designed to do (tour) any program that highlights the joys of cycling has to be good, this weeks offering from the BBC about the great outdoors gets my vote

Roger

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
<br />it was a nice enough show, but it was nothing to do with cycling really - the camping programme was much better and had way more cycling in it.<br /><br />Balding was rarely seen on a bike and when she was it was a nice downhill bit of freewheeling. And she met up with some old dude at the top of a hill who was riding a double bouncer - seemed unlikely<br /><br />And claiming £3 was reasonable to take a bike up i a cliff lift, she's got to be joking. Just ride up the damn hill...<br />[/quote

Downhill freewheeling - except the reasonably long sequence across the open moor and well and truly up. And that "damn hill" is a 1:4 double-chevron job. The sort of thing pros walk up.

The idea was to do a travelogue based on a 1950s bike guide, and in that respect it succeeded.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The idea was to do a travelogue based on a 1950s bike guide, and in that respect it succeeded.
Fair enough. I guess it was silly of me to hope for some talk of bikes on the show. Was looking forward to a nice discussion about gear selection!

jags

Guru
The program was OK, but the camping one was far better afterwards

have to agree the camping program was much better imho.
but hey don't knock it it showing the uk at it's best and promoting cycle touring,
we should all be writing into the bbc and asking them to show more stuff like this,
the devil's own invention (the car) gets way to much tv coverage .

Penfold

Glad the camping show has got a few mentions on here.......I too thought it better than Baldings 'cycle show'

I had a search of those Saunders tents shown in the camping prog as I'd not heard of them before...Look good (if a tad expensive for my budget) for cycle touring.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did cringe when she dumped the bike on the grass :wacko: Was more a general travel program really, interesting nonetheless.

I much preferred the following prog also. Especially about the tailor who made a tent that was transportable by bike and also a suit to go cycling and camping in. Good stuff.

Me too - considering it wasn't her bike in the first place. I was disappointed with most of the clips of her cycling were just as she seemed to be starting or stopping rather than actually cycling.

Me I would take the railway up - I know how steep that hill (and the ones around it) is in a car - and for that view it would definitely be worth it... also knowing that it was powered by water.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
How much cycling is Claire Balding actually doing in this show. Is she really following the route, or just cycling 50 yards for the camera, which is what it looks like.
Never mind I guess. At least it promotes cycling....slightly.
It's a bit like Monty Halls great escape, where in fact he spent most of his time in the village pub, and hotels rather than the crofters cottage. :-)

jags

Guru
good show but the next programme was again much better a guy building his dream bike fantastic,
just wondering was anyone quick enough to list all the parts he bought.

rh100

How much cycling is Claire Balding actually doing in this show. Is she really following the route, or just cycling 50 yards for the camera, which is what it looks like.
Never mind I guess. At least it promotes cycling....slightly.
It's a bit like Monty Halls great escape, where in fact he spent most of his time in the village pub, and hotels rather than the crofters cottage. :-)

Well she certainly isn't carrying anything, I suspect riding only for the camera shots.

rh100

good show but the next programme was again much better a guy building his dream bike fantastic,
just wondering was anyone quick enough to list all the parts he bought.

This one was excellent, he clearly had a passion for it and made it really interesting. I liked the fact the yanks had a relaxed attitude to the bike, just wearing casual clothes etc, even jeans.

I think he bought:

Brooks saddle (didn't know they were in Brum (well, Smethwick)
Rourke frame
Continental tyres
Campagnolo groupset
Cinneli handlebars
Chris King (?) headset
DT Swiss rims I think

Anything else???

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
On the whole I quite enjoyed the programme, wasn't the 92 year old last founder member of the cycling club, who's name I forget, great - she had some lovely photos of club rides, etc. There's hope for us all...

calvjones

This one was excellent, he clearly had a passion for it and made it really interesting. I liked the fact the yanks had a relaxed attitude to the bike, just wearing casual clothes etc, even jeans.

I think he bought:

Brooks saddle (didn't know they were in Brum (well, Smethwick) [Brooks Team Professional]
Rourke frame [Steel. Didn't say what type]
Continental tyres [GP4000 or 4-seasons?]
Campagnolo groupset [Record - not Super record I think]
Cinneli handlebars [Rams]
Chris King (?) headset [Yep]
DT Swiss rims I think [Yep]

Anything else???

Didn't mention the seatpost, stem or bar tape.

He picked pretty revolting colours too, but still looking forward to reading the book - sitting on my desk as I type...

ramses

Really enjoyed the programme, building his dream bike.

I agree that the colour scheme was a bit shocking, didn't really do all the components justice, but it was his bike and he was happy.

Really nice programme, wish they did more like this for cycling.

Top Bottom