Britain by Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
New TV series starting next Thursday at the peak time of midnight :tongue: might be worth a look-see,although it is Claire balding in the saddle,Channel is BBC4 if anyone interested.

ventoux50

New TV series starting next Thursday at the peak time of midnight :tongue: might be worth a look-see,although it is Claire balding in the saddle,Channel is BBC4 if anyone interested.

:ohmy: :eek: :eek: :stop:

Oh my god, I just hope there isn't any footage from the rear ! That could put any budding cyclists off for good !!:hyper::eek: :surrender:

Glad it's Ms Balding though, because she is of course well known as an ardent cyclist with a wealth of experience which will validate her undoubtedly sincere and well informed comments.:huh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
To be fair she did a very good series on hiking for Radio 4, so hopefully she can make a decent fist of this.

I'm less impressed with the editors' decision to use her colleague falling off his bike in the trail though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually just did a search to find out a bit more and see who Claire Balding was ... and found the following:

BROADCASTS

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4lqf

Clare Balding sets out on a two-wheel odyssey to re-discover Britain from the saddle of a touring cycle.

In a six-part series, Clare follows the wheeltracks of compulsive cyclist and author Harold Briercliffe whose evocative guide books of the late 1940s lovingly describe by-passed Britain - a world of unspoiled villages, cycle touring clubs and sunny B roads.

Carrying a set of Harold's Cycling Touring Guides for company and riding his very own bicycle, Clare embarks on six iconic cycle rides to try and find the world he described - if it's still there.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Ah thanks for the extra info Summers,seems it 's just the repeat at midnight then.Will give it a watch as I like listening to her 'Ramblings' show on R4.
Can't believe you didn't know who she was though :tongue:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I like Clare Balding! Admittedly, she's got unforgivably upper-class hair, and if she looked any posher she'd explode, but once you get past that she's rather professional, articulate and genuine. Mind you, the style crimes are hard to forgive, especially as she fancies herself as a bit of a fashion icon. :ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I like Clare Balding! Admittedly, she's got unforgivably upper-class hair, and if she looked any posher she'd explode, but once you get past that she's rather professional, articulate and genuine. Mind you, the style crimes are hard to forgive, especially as she fancies herself as a bit of a fashion icon. :ohmy:

I like her too but those clothes. A cross between Mrs Bouquet and Mrs E Windsor

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

T-shirts and fleeces or big Thatcher frocks. All she needs is Birkenstocks and those blokes with big moustaches (and, presumably, tight white t-shirts and leather jackets) in your sig will be joined in cliche heaven.

Still, the programme looks quite interesting - and starting out at Lynmouth on a cycling tour is, if nothing else, brave. What are the odds on her making it up (or, indeed, down) Porlock Hill?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
T-shirts and fleeces or big Thatcher frocks. All she needs is Birkenstocks and those blokes with big moustaches (and, presumably, tight white t-shirts and leather jackets) in your sig will be joined in cliche heaven.

Still, the programme looks quite interesting - and starting out at Lynmouth on a cycling tour is, if nothing else, brave. What are the odds on her making it up (or, indeed, down) Porlock Hill?

Good point. Looks like she's planning to do it on a double!

rich p

ridiculous old lush

:evil:Slim unlike her :evil:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler

Upper class hair
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
that really tickled me.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oh gawd! It was just a cheap shot. Mea culpa!!

And I'm carrying a few pounds overweight in horse racing parlance. :biggrin:

Top Bottom