Britain is built for cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Are they also campaigning for our bicycles to be noisier too?

I have found it quite useful having a bell sometimes - particularly on shared with pedestrians cyclepaths.

If you call out it can seem a bit aggressive - but no one can be offended by the sweet tinkling of a bell can they??

Yes, yes, i know, maybe some folks suffer with 'bicycle bell misphonia' - in which case i apologise in advance -

please don't stab me :stop:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are they also campaigning for our bicycles to be noisier too?
No, they usually campaign for cycling to be banned - or rather, for the cycling bans contrary to the national policy since 1987 to allow cycling in pedestrianised areas (like in much of Europe) to be continued :sad: and for no more shared-space schemes to be built (I've mixed feelings on that).

classic33

Leg End Member
Visually impaired people have been campaigning for additional noise. For obvious reasons. I'm not visually impaired and am not well informed on the subject so I have no opinion.
Blind, his description, stoker on a tandem hears a lot more than I did, and had a better ability to say where the noise was coming from. Including distance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The thing about saying Britain is built for cars suggests that there was some kind of joined up thinking involved. Quite frankly it's a bodge job of different people with different ideas over a period of decades if not centuries in changing circumstances.

Quite frankly it's amazing it works as well as it does.

You're right... British roads are amongst the safest in the world in relation to weight of traffic. Generally traffic continues to move safely with almost no supervision thanks to the good level of cooperation amongst road users, despite the actions of a few bad ones.

snorri

Legendary Member
British roads are amongst the safest in the world in relation to weight of traffic.
I don't believe it, do you have any stats to back up your statement?

snorri

Legendary Member
Yawn... 'ere we go again! Make a statement and somebody pops up demanding full peer-reviewed evidence. It's one of the slightly irritating aspects of life in the CC virtual pub.

Edited: is this good enough for you? UK ranks 180 out of 183 countries:

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/
And it annoys me a little when people make contentious statements but are unwilling to discuss calmly, but just forget about it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yawn... 'ere we go again! Make a statement and somebody pops up demanding full peer-reviewed evidence. It's one of the slightly irritating aspects of life in the CC virtual pub.

Edited: is this good enough for you? UK ranks 180 out of 183 countries:

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/
Nothing about weight of traffic in that.

So sorry to ask for small things like accuracy and honesty instead of barroom bluster(!)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe Britain's roads have low death rates BECAUSE of the weight of traffic?
If traffic spends all day stuck in jams on the M25, M6, M8 and other major routes, then it's hardly a surprise that fewer people are dying as a result of crashes. The dodgems travel faster!

[QUOTE 5455093, member: 9609"]I will have you know it's diesel that flows in my veins - the fuel of gods[/QUOTE]
I'll let you down slowly, diesel is petroleum. :laugh:

Top Bottom