Britain's Greatest Ever Sportsman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
AP is no doubt a bit of a legend.

My vote would go to Max Woosnam, who once beat Charlie Chapman at ping pong using a knife instead of a bat. There's a book about him which is well worth a read.

pplpilot

Guru
Dougie Lampkin, look at the list of his 1st places its pretty impressive.

I dare say a wendyball enthusiast will be along in a minute to praise someone that scored a single goal in a worldcup at some point.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The complete sportsman inc booze and fags, it's James Hunt.

arq_90994.jpg

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Dougie Lampkin, look at the list of his 1st places its pretty impressive.

I dare say a wendyball enthusiast will be along in a minute to praise someone that scored a single goal in a worldcup at some point.

5 posts to have a pop at football. You'll have to do better than that to beat NormanD's record on the football thread.

stephec

Legendary Member
Alf Tupper, the tough of the track.

Sir Geoff Hurst, a hat trick in a world cup final, one or two of you may have seen a mention of it in the popular press. :biggrin:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Can't really include sports where success relies on a third party, i.e. riders of horses or machines [car/ bike/ bobsleigh/ skis, gun/ bow etc] which aren't all equal in assistance or benefit for every competitor, or the failure of other team members... so what's left? Individual effort against the stamina and skill of others. So I'd go with individual runners breaking world records like Roger Bannister.

Top Bottom