Britains Most Hated Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I just pointed out that the person who posted the comment on the news item up thread made a valid point about a chap losing his job for using a phone whilst driving a bus. One of the points that the author made was, that perhaps a private "heads up" might have been appropriate. The bus driver would have had his card marked, and hopefully would not have used the phone again whilst driving, and perhaps he would not have lost his job. The result hopefully might have been a safer bus driver who was still in employment, and possibly one less enemy of the cyclist. A win win.

What we do not know is, that there may have been other things that caused the driver to lose his job, this may have been the a third warning for example.

I did not say I agreed with the point of view, I do not, I just said that author of that comment on the news site had in my opinion a point.

I really wish members of this forum who do not agree with each other could post their views and opinions without being rude and making personal insults. There is no need for it, this is meant to be a fun and friendly forum, although I find it is becoming less so, there really are some very unpleasant contributors here lately. I'm getting a little weary of it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I just pointed out that the person who posted the comment on the news item up thread made a valid point about a chap losing his job for using a phone whilst driving a bus. One of the points that the author made was, that perhaps a private "heads up" might have been appropriate. The bus driver would have had his card marked, and hopefully would not have used the phone again whilst driving, and perhaps he would not have lost his job. The result hopefully might have been a safer bus driver who was still in employment, and possibly one less enemy of the cyclist. A win win.

What we do not know is, that there may have been other things that caused the driver to lose his job, this may have been the a third warning for example.

I did not say I agreed with the point of view, I do not, I just said that author of that comment on the news site had in my opinion a point.

I really wish members of this forum who do not agree with each other could post their views and opinions without being rude and making personal insults. There is no need for it, this is meant to be a fun and friendly forum, although I find it is becoming less so, there really are some very unpleasant contributors here lately. I'm getting a little weary of it.
I'm not convinced that someone who knows they are breaking the law then becomes a safer driver because they have had a warning. He knew he was breaking the law and his company's regulations so therefore he starts off from a position of being a risk taker. I don't want him in charge of a bus that I'm either in on on the road with. Plus it doesn't spread a message to other drivers, or if it does the message is .... "do this and we will give you a little slap on the hand, then you carry on as before!" Or make sure you don't get caught again (note not the same as don't do it again).

Drago

Legendary Member
He proudly boasts about being thumped during some interviews.

Problem is, while Batman may be hard as nails and have all the toys, Robin has no super powers and is only really safe when in company with the caped crusader.

buggi

Bird Saviour
My confession: Last week I was driving a car on the A9 towards Inverness from Perth. A long, boring road with sections of dual carriageway in between the single carriageways. There are now average speed cameras along its length. I decided to break the boredom by making a phone call on the bluetooth system integral with the car audio. I was on a section of dual carriageway sticking to the 70mph limit. Engrossed in the conversation, I didn't realise until sometime later that the dual carriageway had ended and I was doing 70 on the single carriageway. I will let you know if a speeding ticket drops through my door. Just an example of how the distraction is more down to the actual phone call, rather than the physical aspect of holding a phone; which let's face it is no worse than changing a CD, lighting a cigarette, or a multitude of other things which are perfectly legal. Young children in a car must be the worst distraction of all.
I recently went on a road safety course and they were showing an interview with a HGV driver who was in prison for exactly that. He was on his hands free and like you hadn't noticed the change due to being engrossed in conversation. In his case though he had gone over a roundabout but not noticed that the dual carriageway had gone back to single carriageway. He hit a car head on and killed the driver. Very sad.

I asked a road safety expert why hands free is different to talking to a passenger and they said its because the person on the phone can't see the road ahead so they don't stop talking when you need to concentrate, like a passenger does. Also it's not normally general chit chat, but business calls which distract you even more.

I also worked with a guy who the cops came to collect bcoz his wife and child had been in a car crash. They think the child was sick and the mom turned round to deal with it and drove into the back of a HGV. They were so badly injured they took them to separate hospitals but they both died before the cops could get him there. Thankfully she had not picked up their little girl from nursery so he still had her.

Drago

Legendary Member
I mean, come on, if this guy lost you your job you would feel pretty safe planting one on him...
Batman_'66_-_Burt_Ward_as_Robin.jpg

Top Bottom