Britains Most Hated Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wonder if any of the Glasgow bin lorry driver's colleagues knew about his medical history and remained quiet, anxious not to grass a colleague and stitch him up like a kipper.
I would feel really really bad if I'd kept quiet and something happened that me speaking out might have prevented. I'd like to think they hadn't noticed as why would you be in the cab with someone whose driving you were worried about.

In a past job I had a boss that I shared a car with to meetings occasionally, I didn't rate his driving at all, and eventually I told him I preferred going by public transport rather than get in a car with him. Ok I didn't report him to his boss, we just agreed to go by public transport in future. Last I heard he had given up driving.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Which isn't the same as getting them sacked.

I emailed a taxi company a few years ago after one of their drivers passed me very close and fast, after having gone the wrong side of a keep left sign.
They emailed back to thank me and to say they had let the driver go.

Did I feel guilty about getting someone sacked? No.
It was entirely the driver's fault - if they hadn't driven like a dangerous idiot they'd still have a job. The same holds true in this case. You're blaming the wrong person for the driver getting sacked.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I emailed a taxi company a few years ago after one of their drivers passed me very close and fast, after having gone the wrong side of a keep left sign.
They emailed back to thank me and to say they had let the driver go.

Did I feel guilty about getting someone sacked? No.
It was entirely the driver's fault - if they hadn't driven like a dangerous idiot they'd still have a job. The same holds true in this case. You're blaming the wrong person for the driver getting sacked.

I'm not blaming anyone. You've made the wrong inferrence from my comment.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Sorry, I thought you were implying that one shouldn't report people in case they lost their job.

To clarify, I think there is something snide about informing on a colleague. For example, we're not allowed to use our mobiles at our desks. If a colleague told the boss that they'd seen me sending a text, I'd regard them as a grass. However, if I was doing something genuinely dangerous, different rules apply. So I think Dave Sherry did the right thing.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
To clarify, I think there is something snide about informing on a colleague. For example, we're not allowed to use our mobiles at our desks. If a colleague told the boss that they'd seen me sending a text, I'd regard them as a grass. However, if I was doing something genuinely dangerous, different rules apply. So I think Dave Sherry did the right thing.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother if they were checking facebook at their desk (if they consistently took the piss I might have a word), but I have a zero-tolerance attitude to people doing something that endangers people, so I'd report someone driving on the phone without a second thought, whether I knew them or not.

U

User33236

Glad you added the last part.

In my line of work, if we do things wrong, patients can come to harm. I have reported colleagues for dangerous behavior and would not hesitate to do it again.

liambauckham

Über Member
maybe he could have given him a warning?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
maybe he could have given him a warning?
I would expect his terms and conditions are quite clear about using a hand held mobile whilst at the wheel of a bus. Why would you expect a warning if you have been told Don't do it unless you want a P45.

Everyone else at his place of employment has now been warned what will happen in this situation.

liambauckham

Über Member
I would expect his terms and conditions are quite clear about using a hand held mobile whilst at the wheel of a bus. Why would you expect a warning if you have been told Don't do it unless you want a P45.

Everyone else at his place of employment has now been warned what will happen in this situation.

Yeah I totally get that but im talking about the person. Like if I saw a colleague doing something like that I'd probably give them a warning and if they acted like a dick or did it again then they are fair game.

and to clarify when i say act like a dick i mean

me "he mr i saw you breaking the law the other day"

him " f***** you!"

then he's fair game.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Whereas I'd prefer to get dangerous drivers off the road ASAP.
Why do they deserve a warning? What if after you've given them a warning they run someone over and kill them?

Top Bottom