British Airways and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyL

I'm flying out from Heathrow T5 (!) on Saturday and want to take my bike. From what I've read on their website, it seems that BA will take it for free as long as it's properly bagged up and under 23 kg. There doesn't seem to be anything about pre-booking it. Is this right? I'm just used to getting fleeced, or sorry, dealing with, EasyJet when I've taken my bike abroad before.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As long as it conforms to their size code it should be ok. They class it as sporting equipment and take it free, not pre-booked and happily when I did it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
They do require it to be in a proper bag though, which, if you're touring, becomes enough of an issue to put me off BA!! As does T5!

Don't they all now?

I was flying back from Bologna so I bought a bag for £30 in Decathlon which is no good if you're going both ways!

jay clock

Massive member
If you follow BA's website it is virtually impossible to take a bike.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

The overall dimensions permitted are 158cm. A standard cardboard bike box is about 270cm. There is no way to get a touring bike in any of the bags they picture on their site. I went to NZ with Air NZ who were excellent (if you go to NZ go westbound as allowances are massively higher than eastbound)

I did however meet a cyclist in NZ who flew BA in January and did not even put his bike in a bag.....

Evilcat

jay clock said:
If you follow BA's website it is virtually impossible to take a bike.
Not so, if you read the Cycling section it says "Whilst most bicycle bags comply with the standard dimensions, We will accept all single bicycle bags as illustrated." So I read this that as long as you use one of the illustrated bag styles you'll be OK.

I would recommend a hard shell case if travelling from LHR T5: at least a little protection when your bike gets sorted by hand, left in a big pile in the rain, sent to Milan on a lorry and so forth. :smile:

EC

OP
OP
D

DaveyL

Thanks for all the replies. It was the pre-booking issue I was most concerned about - great that you can just turn up with it.

I actually have a padded bike bag AND a hard shell case. Using both may be a bit of overkill... But the hard case will instantly put me well over the weight limit.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hmm so I just happened to be flipping through the forums when I read this thread -and now it's got me worried! I'm due to fly across the Atlantic in September (from USA to UK) and don't have a bike bag or a hard shell case. I've flown across a couple of times before using a bike box (e.g. sort of box new bikes arrive at a bike store in).

Anyone had recent experience using a bike box on BA?

AndrewClark

Veteran
I flew Manchester - Heathrow - Delhi last year with my Thorn Nomad in a big polythene bag (with pipe lagging round the tubes). No problem apart from the fact it wouldn't fit through the X-ray machine at Manchester and had to be manually inspected & swabbed for explosives!

Top Bottom