British cycling Insurance Claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
After a accident how long does an insurance claim take to sort out?
Now this obviously depends on the seriousness of the injury, What are peoples experiences on here?
Am only asking as my other half was knocked of her bike a few weeks back, She should be mended in another 4 or 5 weeks.:okay: But i would like to get her bike sorted, Don't like having things around that don't work.

If it is a minor accident they are trying to get them sorted within 6 months.

boydj

Legendary Member
Normally, if liability is not disputed, then it should be possible to get an interim payment to cover costs for repair or replacement of a damaged bike - particularly if you are running up other costs for transport.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How long is a piece of string. Depends upon injuries, and of course the other side's ruddy useless insurance company.

Liability admitted in 6 weeks, 4 1/2 years to sort.

My current one could take a very long time. Case manager now appointed (after 2.5 months) interim payment agreed, liability not agreed. 4 broken ribs and a badly damaged spine (over 6 weeks in hospital) - going to be years....

Get quotes for the bike at a local bike shop. Get photos of damage, get repairs agreed, then get it fixed or do it yourself. I've usually done the official quote, then fixed it myself.

My current accident bike is still sat at my folks but the damage s slight, but I'd like to sort it, but been told not to by my solicitor. I do have three other bikes, but can't ride any bike , not even stationary at the moment. I hate broken bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm nearly two years on, still a way off due to ongoing issues which might be a result of my accident in Feb 2014. Confirmed that the primary leg injury isn't likely to get any better

My bike wasn't damaged unlike me. But I've not yet had a settlement of out of pocket and loss of earnings (not that I've pushed it)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just over 2 years.

I got a quote for the bike from the bike shop for it to be replaced for 3k. The insurers decided that as there was a newer model that was cheaper, that they would only offer me £800, even though mine is equipped with ultegra DI2 and the model they are looking at is only ultegra and a much lower spec bike in general. So now I have to take it to Derby to have it independantly evaluated.
I had an interim payment, offset against the final payment of 2k within 3 months and a total of 20k within the first year. The final payment may still be a while off though while they decide how much damage to me is long term.

classic33

Leg End Member
How long is a piece of string. Depends upon injuries, and of course the other side's ruddy useless insurance company.

Liability admitted in 6 weeks, 4 1/2 years to sort.

My current one could take a very long time. Case manager now appointed (after 2.5 months) interim payment agreed, liability not agreed. 4 broken ribs and a badly damaged spine (over 6 weeks in hospital) - going to be years....

Get quotes for the bike at a local bike shop. Get photos of damage, get repairs agreed, then get it fixed or do it yourself. I've usually done the official quote, then fixed it myself.

My current accident bike is still sat at my folks but the damage s slight, but I'd like to sort it, but been told not to by my solicitor. I do have three other bikes, but can't ride any bike , not even stationary at the moment. I hate broken bikes.
25% of its original length.
For the OP, just over three & half years.

Get the person sorted first, the bike second. The bike can't feel anything and parts can be replaced a lot easier.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
It's been a month since the insurance company accepted their drivers liability and I accepted their settlement offer. It still hasn't been authorised for payment yet despite me calling every Monday since the offer was accepted to chase them up.

Incident happened end of October last year.

Kingy

I wouldn't hold your breath.
I got hit by a car in July '15. Written timescale from solicitor said it should either be resolved or the other party would be in court by end of December '15.
Other party (driver) was a despicable tosser at the scene and has disputed liability with lies, which it is clear to see are lies as his version of events would mean my injuries (14 stitches and glue to a deep wound) could not have happened. This is confirmed with my independent medical report. This means it has not been straightforward and now his insurance company keep reassuring that they are dealing with it as their next priority and will respond ... next week. (This has been their stance for over a month now).
I'm quite happy for it to go to court but the solicitor has suggested waiting as they seem to be indicating they are close to agreeing a settlement. Time will tell, but it's just a game to them and they just try and play it out for as long as possible.

Top Bottom