British Cycling Membership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
Do you feel the same about car insurance, if it wasn’t a legal requirement?
No - because in the case of cars, there are plenty of statistics, readily available, that show that it is manifestly dangerous. It is the automatic assumption (which I think you may just have reinforced) that cycling is in the same category as driving that I do not wish to see reinforced.

bpsmith

Veteran
No - because in the case of cars, there are plenty of statistics, readily available, that show that it is manifestly dangerous. It is the automatic assumption (which I think you may just have reinforced) that cycling is in the same category as driving that I do not wish to see reinforced.
Sweeping statement there, which is amusing considering your previous post stating that there is a lack of statistics available for cycling. ;)

Regarding my assumption about the danger, and the suggestion that I (and others) might be scaremongering, that’s not how it is. We’re just answering the questions being asked about the benefits.

You’re quite entitled to put the opposite point across, otherwise what’s the point of a forum, but let’s not go down the road of rubbishing other peoples opinion when there’s no stats to back it up as you say.

To summarise my own position, I have a claim progressing, which BC is providing st no cost to me, plus I saved £20 with Chain Reaction on one order alone. This equates to giving me half of my BC sub back in one go, let alone the other purchases across the year. Chain Reaction were the cheapest vendor of said items, even before the discount.

What’s not to like?

swansonj

Guru
My point was not about the value of British Cycling or CTC membership (which, as I said, I do indeed have myself).

My point was not about the usefulness of having legal cover if you need to claim against someone else.

My point was not about any cyclist choosing to have liability cover (which, as I said, I have chosen to have myself).

My point was purely about the assumption/assertion that all cyclists ought/need to have liability cover.

bpsmith

Veteran
In a thread about the virtues of BC membership, you basically don’t believe that the Liability element is worth signing up for, but the rest of the package is worthwhile?

Your posts suggest the overall package isn’t worth it, but clearly that’s not the case.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just because something isn't likely to happen, doesn't mean it won't, hence I have the insurance.

I mean, what were the odds of the first ever bomb dropped by the allies in WWII of killing the only elephant in Berlin zoo? Slim, to say the least, but that didn't stop it happening.

Top Bottom