British Cycling's New Sponsor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do these guys actually have a point? Why are they here?

Anyone? 🤷‍♂️

You use oil on your chain. Haha!

I rest my case with my incredibly clever and decisive argument.

Nearly everyone and everything that led to the design, manufacturing and delivery of a bike to the cyclists had the need to use oil of the fossil fuel variety. Why the blinkers at this stage?

... need to use oil of the fossil fuel variety
My dear Sir, have you actually read the posts preceeding yours?

I say this becuase I do believe this has been addressed, possibly a number of times.

Kind Regards,
Matt The Weaver (First Class)

I'm not condescending just find that there's inconsistencies in how people view companies with questionable practices or products. Also inconsistencies with which organisations can accept money from such businesses.

BC can't accept Shell's money but people want the state to take more of through windfall tax. Shell used to sponsor national galleries and science museum group. Of course ferrari f1 team.

Then previous sponsor HSBC has stakes in companies planning 70 new coal fired power stations. End of last month they came out with a statement that they were withdrawing from thermal coal investments but they forgot to mention they were still involved in 99MW worth of new build coal fired power stations plus other coal investments.

Whilst some said they were involved in leafletting to end HSBC links they appeared to only give up their BC membership after HSBC stopped their sponsorship and only when Shell got involved. It is this selective action on BC sponsorship that I can't square with people's ethical stances. Ethics should apply equally if they're worth having. Just my opinion. Shell is wrong so I'm leaving BC , HSBC is wrong so I'll quietly hand out leaflets hardly anyone reads to say how strongly I disapprove of them. You see what I mean?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've said it before but I'll try one last time.

This has nothing to do with whether or not Shell is evil, or what bicycles are made of, or what chain lube is made of, or Greta Thunderpants

It's to do with conflict of interest.

BC is involved with campaigning for active transport. As they are sponsored by an organisation whose aim is in direct opposition to this, they lose all credibility as any policy statement they make will now be seen to be the view of their paymasters. It's a very poor choice of sponsor.

If BC were a pro racing team, or if they confined themselves to just the velodrome and issuing race licenses that would be ok. Pro racing is packed full of dodgy sponsors. Shell would just be one more.

I'm not, and never will be, a BC member so it's not a problem for me. It's just a bit of a shame that they have chosen to bring this PR calamity down upon themselves but hey ho, cretins gonna cret.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Well Hallelujah, it looks like Shell ARE going to save the planet. I take it all back!
Well that's overegging the pudding a little, but it does show that they are concerned that they need to meet environmental targets and are adjusting what they do accordingly. It was never going to be done quickly, but they do seem to be going in the right direction. They don't need to get in the beatification queue yet though...

icowden

Veteran
A move in the right direction could be that they've increased their gas to oil ratio or that they've doubled their investment in sustainable energy - meaning still over 90% in fossil fuels - that's speculative and arbitrary and I don't know what the figures are but whatever they are, I imagine the spin would be of that ilk and I would be surprised if they truly are transforming the basis of their business from fossil fuels.
I'd be surprised if they weren't transforming their business away from fossil fuels. Since 2019 we have seen a huge move away from fossil fuel powered transport, with multiple countries bringing in targets for 0% ICE sales. They have seen that renewable solutions are gaining popularity and traction and that companies worldwide are moving away from fossil fuels. They would be foolish to just carry on regardless. I would imagine that the Saudi is ramping up its energy transition to renewables. Shell's forecasting analysts will be predicting a huge reduction in fossil oil and gas.

Top Bottom