British Gas Homecare One renewal £389..is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Been to visit parents yesterday and I notice they got a renewal for there boiler cover @ £389 Up from £348. I said thats a expensive even at £348. So I contacted British Gas on there behave and said that's very expensive for the cover as they are OAP. They said they will keep it at the previous price at £348 and thats the best they could do. Well I told them were to go. So i contacted my boiler contract who I been with them for the last 8 yrs @ £186 and they will do it at that price for my Parents and that's include boiler cover and central heating compare with British Gas Homecare One just covering the boiler. How much do people pay for there cover?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Been to visit parents yesterday and I notice they got a renewal for there boiler cover @ £389 Up from £348. I said thats a expensive even at £348. So I contacted British Gas on there behave and said that's very expensive for the cover as they are OAP. They said they will keep it at the previous price at £348 and thats the best they could do. Well I told them were to go. So i contacted my boiler contract who I been with them for the last 8 yrs @ £186 and they will do it at that price for my Parents and that's include boiler cover and central heating compare with British Gas Homecare One just covering the boiler. How much do people pay for there cover?
I don't £50 to service annually over five years you could buy a brand new one. Always thought these are a scam, unless you have an old unreliable boiler. Even then you would be better off getting a new one and not the cover. How many years and how many call outs?

midlife

Guru
Been here 8 years and have the oil boiler looked at every year by local guy (Phill Dodd Heating). Probably spent £600 all in.
Had to call him out over Xmas as it broke, something to do with a solenoid that was faulty and tripping the RCD. Came along no problems and it was sorted no drama..

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't £50 to service annually over five years you could buy a brand new one. Always thought these are a scam, unless you have an old unreliable boiler. Even then you would be better off getting a new one and not the cover. How many years and how many call outs?
Which those b’stsrds at BG would probably refuse to cover based on my prior experiences. Won’t touch them with a barge pole!
OP...What’s the cost through quidco as a new customer?

A new boiler is probably about 3k or so and it’s not like BG will give you a new one if they condemn the old

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Boiler about 10yrs old and think the last call out about 2 yrs ago, the expansive value went and they pumped it up.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I have British Gas cover for my boiler and hot water tank only (not sure if Homecare One covers more or less than that) and it's about £18 a month, and my boiler is over 10 years old. Plus we get a once a year checkup on the boiler for free as part of this. Almost £400 a year is WAY too much.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My boiler has just expired and needs replaced. At 28 years old I can't complain! For the first 5 years or so I had it serviced annually and that extended the warranty for that year, at a cost of about £75. Since then I have just been getting it repaired on an "as required" basis - which has resulted in 2 call outs in all those years. If I was paying £300 per year, I would have been £8400 down by now. Maybe I've been lucky, but now I'm going to have to dig deep and replace the thing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not that up on boilers but once they start going wrong it seems to go downhill rapidly. If my memory serves me right a friend had insurance for ages and when they called them out the parts need were not made anymore so no repair, but 'I think they offered him a "deal" on a new replacement. 10 years doesn't seem that old really I would service it and repair as needed, most independent boiler engineers are pretty quick call out.

Top Bottom