British/Irish Dialect Quiz in the NY Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
That was fun. It got me firmly in the SE :
upload_2019-2-15_22-6-35.png

I grew up on the South London/Surrey borders, so under the big dark blob that sticks up into London on this map. Interesting that there is a strong match with Cambridge too, but it's unlikely that my recent few years here have affected my language significantly. I resisted confusing the survey with words like jitty, mardy and cob from my East Midlands years.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Placed me in a city 45 minutes from where I was born and brought up.

Close enough.

(Although I lived in a city for about 9 months once and swore I’d never live in one again. And I haven’t.)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It me pretty close and a little colour over Lincolnshire where my surname originates ..... spooooky !

gavgav

Guru
It’s pretty spot on for me, with Shropshire being the main, some Worcestershire in me, from living down there for 6 years, but bizarrely also some Luton in me!!

Pinned me. Ironically on the question about truanting. Apparently "dogging it" is a highly localised phrase :sad:
It's missing a question about how you pronounce the word "seven". As far as I know there is only one place in the world where this rhymes with "Steven"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Pinned me. Ironically on the question about truanting. Apparently "dogging it" is a highly localised phrase :sad:
It's missing a question about how you pronounce the word "seven". As far as I know there is only one place in the world where this rhymes with "Steven"
NZ?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
upload_2019-2-16_12-43-55.png

Had me absolutely spot on, Birmingham and surrounding area (born & brought up in Coventry of Brummie parents, 22 years followed by next 20 years in South Warwickshire). Obviously the last 13 years in West Zummerzet have not rubbed off too much.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
upload_2019-2-16_20-32-24.png

Not bad. I live in Reading and spent some of my childhood in Bury St Edmunds. I spent my teenage years in Hove, though.

After more questions:
upload_2019-2-16_20-59-46.png

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Pretty bang o for me with a mildly surprising twist.
My map cut a swathe from Gloucestershire across to Lincoln (plus Scarborough, where I've only ever visited)
I've never lived in Gloucestershire...but my dad was a born and bred Bristolian, so some of my dialect perhaps comes from him.
Lived most of my younger life in Lincoln and Nottinghamshire...so bang o really.

Top Bottom