British/Irish Dialect Quiz in the NY Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Funnily enough (for me anyway) the key indicator for me was the game of "tick"
You of course mean "tig"

They were nowhere near with me, had me on the side of the hill, but born in Teeside, moved to South Yorkshire, live in North Nottinghamshire now, but deal with people all over the world so my language is modified to whomever I speak to.

Stephenite

Membå
Had me spot on.

screenshot.6.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
That's one I forgot to mark. We called them spells.

One thing they didn't call out was what you call the plaster cast when you break a limb. Where I come from, it's a pot.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Good for me as well.
Glasgow / West of Scotland with some Irish influence.
Had there been a question on "how you describe something which is beyond repair" I might have thrown it, because when I lived in Glasgow I picked up the excellent multi-purpose word "gubbed".

Which I still use.

pjd57

Veteran
Had there been a question on "how you describe something which is beyond repair" I might have thrown it, because when I lived in Glasgow I picked up the excellent multi-purpose word "gubbed".

Which I still use.

So do I.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sadly the main map pic didn't show at the end on my phone. I'll try again later on a PC, but the pics that did show were pretty accurate.

Right, did it proper on t'computer and got this:
Capture1.JPG

Which is good with the capital of the north slap bang centre.

So I then did the extended one which narrowed it down to this:
Capture2.JPG

Which is even more like it, even though I'm shocked and disappointed to see Sheffield listed.
As on most occasions, the least said about Sheffield the better.

Scarborough is where the good folk of West Yorkshire holiday and then retire to in later life, so it's no surprise to see we have a linguistic enclave there.

Top Bottom