British National Hillclimb up Winnat's Pass - Sunday 31st October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Thanks, I was thinking about Spout Hill :smile:
I've just checked & you've just missed out this year, it was 2 weeks ago, on Sunday 10th Oct :okay: City Road Club organise it

T4tomo

Guru
It's going to be wet. With a headwind. The result is it'll be all that much harder.

Son no. 2 had a go in wind and a crosswind in August: he got blown over as his 5.2kg hillclimb bike has 50mm deep section wheels.
The say the Hill climb community are masochists, so they should be happy!

I'd be thinking about swapping my wheels for something shallower, if its very windy. I guess they are his lightest set too, but not much aero gain to be had on a 20% incline and the last thing you want is to be battling to keep it in a straight line.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@T4tomo - despite being 50mm deep the wheels on my son's hillclimb bike are only 1100g so really light with lightweight tubs on.

We've an alternative set of 1400g 24mm deep non-carbon wheels with clinchers which we'll bring as back-up but otherwise only have 50mm+ deep in carbon unfortunately.

T4tomo

Guru
Bejesus they are light (I bet they weren't cheap), and 300g penalty is quite a bit in that world. Pray for light wind!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bejesus they are light (I bet they weren't cheap), and 300g penalty is quite a bit in that world. Pray for light wind!

He'll need a good poop before hand.

I used to do hill climbs as an end of season thing, thoroughly hated them, but we'd win the 'non-sponsored' team awards, so was worth the £5 in prize money. We'd get beat by Manchester Wheelers and that Mr Boardman fella. :whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I avoid going up Winnats. As a larger rider it is not one of my favourites. The ramp towards the end is partiularly unpleasant. One of the favourites for the climb did a recky up it the other day. His VAM on Strava was not far shy of 2500 on the steeper bits. :eek:
Similarly I avoid it. Whilst the entrants are only doing the steep bit, the whole climb out of Castleton is very tricky to pace correctly.

Kick off with 1-2% drag out of the village, everyone a bit nervous and giddy, so you always go a bit too fast. Turn off and it's 7%, you can see the climb proper so you go too hard on this bit too. Over the first cattlegrid and it's 12% and you're wondering why you tried to show off on the drag out of Castleton. But then it gets worse and worse and tops at 20% ish near the top

Sadly I'm away as I bet it'll be real spectacle. Looks like a race between Andy Feather and Tom Bell. Bell FTW

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
good prediction from @nickyboy How did the boy get on @DCLane?

OK, but not great. He came 23rd out of 50 in the Junior Men's with a time of 4:12 although one of his team-mates came 3rd. The obligatory photo:

Nat_HC.jpg

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
good prediction from @nickyboy How did the boy get on @DCLane?
Easy prediction. The only HCs he's not win this season are the 6-7% ones. Over 10% he seems unbeatable at the moment

Story about Tom Bell:

In 2016 I'd seen him recording great times up Holme Moss (at time he lived in Holmfirth). He entered the National HC that year and the bookies priced him as an outsider as he had very little HC competition form. 250-1, completely the wrong odds as the bookies didn't know about Strava

I put a tenner on each way. First three to count.

He came fourth by about a second :ohmy:

Top Bottom