British Road Race Championships Looking Really Rather Good Shock *SPOILER*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I was just perusing the British Cycling site and checked out the start list for the RR champs this year, and I was quite stunned...

I mean the women's race looks pretty tasty with Pooley and Cooke and co. but the men's race... well, assuming all the pro-riders who are down actually turn up on the day (and that's by no means a given), you have quite possibly the strongest field we have seen for years. It makes you realise what astonishing progress cycling in Britain has been making. The days not too long ago when Millar or Hammond would basically win if they turned up are gone. There are perhaps 20 riders who could genuinely be in with a chance of winning and last year's winner, Rob Hayles, realistically may not even be one of them...

We even have enough pros with top outfits to have them in cut-down versions of their normal teams: Cervelo have got Roger Hammond of course, but they also have the two Dans, Fleeman and Lloyd, as well as Jeremy Hunt. There's the Barloworld trio of Chris Froome, Gerraint Thomas and Steve Cummings. Then there's a whole load of young talent who don't come with team support - Ben Swift, Jonathan Bellis, Ian Stannard, and the globetrotting Alex Coutts, and some who are not in their current continental outfit but riding under the 100%ME standard, in particular Peter Kennaugh, who was third in the junior Giro recently, and Alex Dowsett. And of course Millar, Wiggins and Cav are all down (and even without his train, if it comes down to a sprint, no-one's going to outdo Cav, although I suspect a strong break is more likely in a race like this).

It's a mouthwatering prospect, and I haven't said that about a British RR championship for quite some time...

montage

God Almighty
yummy

Skip Madness

Will1985 said:
I really hope Cooke doesn't win the women's race. It's getting a bit boring with the last 8 in a row.
Yes. I speculated on another thread that the possible reason that the Tumble has been left off of the women's course is so that it doesn't just turn into Cooke versus Pooley. I think picking Cooke as a tip to win the women's race should be barred from now on. I will support Nikki Harris for the women's and go for Ben Swift in the men's.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Skip Madness said:
Ben Swift in the men's.

I would love him to do it - he is a great all-round rider with the ability to survive in a break and then take a sprint at the end. I don't think he will win though. I wouldn't bet against Wiggins actually - this time last year I would have said 'no way' but he seems to have transformed himself this year and looks to have the desire and a new versatility in addition to the obvious talent.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
As a former clubmate of Emma's at CUCC, I would love her to be the one to put an end to Nicole's run of dominance... Can't wait for the weekend.

PS - love the articles, Skip.

mr-marty-martin

after watching wiggins in the beumont trophy the other weekend ( premier calender race ) im putting my money on him

he was looking so strong... and was getting up the ryals in big ring !!!

and he's a nice bloke, he signed our tops...

a dont think rob hayles in in for a chance this year... although again top bloke, got some nice pics with him infront of the cameras :smile:

mangaman

Flying_Monkey said:
I wouldn't bet against Wiggins actually - this time last year I would have said 'no way' but he seems to have transformed himself this year and looks to have the desire and a new versatility in addition to the obvious talent.

I was amazed by his riding in thr Giro - he was outclimbing some serious climbers in the 1st week

Would love him to win - I've also met him and he was a great bloke.
He was gobsmacked that I recignised him and knew about what he'd achieved on a bike. I doubt he's often recognised on the street and he was really cool about me saying inane things (like - your-re Bradley Wiggins aren't you?)

I can't understand not wanting Nicole Cook to win though - she's a phenomenon in British road cycling and it would be great for her to win in Wales.

mangaman

Flying_Monkey said:
I would love him to do it - he is a great all-round rider with the ability to survive in a break and then take a sprint at the end. I don't think he will win though. I wouldn't bet against Wiggins actually - this time last year I would have said 'no way' but he seems to have transformed himself this year and looks to have the desire and a new versatility in addition to the obvious talent.

I agree - I'm trying to think of a way of going to watch. It looks like a great weekend of cycling

Brad was amazing in the first week of the Giro - outclimbing serious climbers and still able to TT

I would like Nicole to win though - OK she has won it a lot - but that is because she's the best British cyclist for generations. It would be nice for her to win it in Wales IMHO

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Nicole has 'won it in Wales' twice before. To my mind, if anyone can beat her to the title, they'd thoroughly well deserve it. Emma could also rightly be called 'a phenomenon in British road racing', and I think that, in time, Lizzie will be too. A golden age, indeed!

Skip Madness

I have just spied this in the TV schedules:
Saturday 4th July
1900-1930 - British Eurosport - British Women's Road Race Championship, Abergavenny
1930-2005 - British Eurosport - British Road Race Championship, Abergavenny

Sunday 5th July
0015-0045 - British Eurosport - British Women's Road Race Championship, Abergavenny

Monday 6th July
1700-1730 - British Eurosport - British Road Race Championship, Abergavenny
1730-1800 - British Eurosport - British Women's Road Race Championship, Abergavenny
2200-2230 - British Eurosport - British Road Race Championship, Abergavenny

Tuesday 7th July
1130-1200 - British Eurosport - British Road Race Championship, Abergavenny

Wednesday 8th July
2205-2235 - British Eurosport - British Road Race Championship, Abergavenny
I got that from this great link which someone (I forget who) posted up a few months back. So there are plenty of opportunities to see highlights of these races on the box if you have Eurosport.

Will1985

Über Member
Abergavenny website is down due to exceeded bandwidth - probably had too many people download the PDFs!

Latest is on Twitter. Women start in an hour, so I guess we'll know the result by 4:30/5pm.

Top Bottom