Broadband download limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hello Broadband fans
I'm thinking of changing my broadband provider, as current one (local to here, not well-known) is a bit pricey. However, there are no download limits, so I've never worried about them. I know there are other limitless ones, but some limit you to, say, 5GB monthly. How, on my windows pc, do I find out what my usage amount has been recently? I have no idea of how much I download, just interested in finding out, as it'll help me decide which one to go for.
Thanks in advance for your wise, considered explanations and the odd quip.

I thought Girls Aloud were a broad band.

OK - quip out of the way - let's have some sense...I would also like to know how...

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar, PM the external ip address of your router and the admin username and password and I'll hack into your system and nick all your bank/credit card details sort it all out for you mate. ;)

domtyler

Über Member
I wouldn't bother with Virgin media, you need to be running the latest version of Apple Mac to log on. It can seem cheap but in the fine print there is a compulsory subscription to iTunes which you cannot opt out of.

PrettyboyTim

domtyler said:
I wouldn't bother with Virgin media, you need to be running the latest version of Apple Mac to log on. It can seem cheap but in the fine print there is a compulsory subscription to iTunes which you cannot opt out of.

What are you talking about?

Unless they're supplying shite USB cable modems nowadays it should just be a case of plugging the bugger in and connecting it to your computer via an ethernet cable or a wireless connection. Why would you have to install any software at all?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
PrettyboyTim said:

Unless they're supplying shite USB cable modems nowadays it should just be a case of plugging the bugger in and connecting it to your computer via an ethernet cable or a wireless connection. Why would you have to install any software at all?

well i have virgin media (and macs of course), and the modem connects to the router/computer via rj45 ethernet. it must work with pcs as the chap who came to fit our new modem was unfamiliar with macs, so he either does **** all all day, or he's more used to windoze boxes.

domt is talking bollox!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
domtyler said:

and so it should be for everywhere ;)

QuickDraw

domtyler said:

Total nonsense. I'm with Vrigin Media, don't have an Apple Mac and don't have a compulsory subscription to iTunes.

That doesn't mean I'm recommending them though, I'm just with them cos the package is cheaper than any sort of Sky/BT/broadband combination.

jonesy

Guru
PrettyboyTim said:

Unfortunately lots of ISPs try to con people into installing their own pointless software to get you to use their website as a home page etc. Having helped quite a few friends and relatives to set up their broadband systems I have concluded that the best advice has always been to tell them to ignore the ISP instructions and plug in the router without installing anything at all.

PrettyboyTim

alecstilleyedye said:
virgin media have no download limits. price goes up according to what speed you sign up for.

Oh, I should point out that Virgin do have some download limits - depending on the service level you're on, if you download more than a certain amount between 4pm and 9pm (their peak period, apparently), they downgrade your bandwidth for five hours.

For the 2Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 1Mb/s if you download over 350MB
For the 4Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 1Mb/s if you download over 800MB
For the 20Mb/s level, you get downgraded to 5Mb/s if you download over 3000MB

All of these only apply between 4pm and 9pm.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I would strongly agree with PrettyboyTim's point. Virgin Media most certainly do have download limits.

STM absolutely cripples some peoples connections. The old 2007 STM rules were ridiculous, download 350Mb on the bottom package and you'd get STMed for a few hours. You could even be STMed twice in a day. The 2008 rules are better though. Thankfully it's now 9pm and not midnight, unfortunately new STM rules include uploads though.

If you go for VM I would advise in the most strong terms possible under no circumstances go for the so called 20Mbs connection. I found the 2Mbs service to be pretty good though.

Top Bottom