Broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Errrm all these fast speeds im reading about. Living rural im guaranteed 1.5 meg download and 0.8 upload 😳. And when it drops out, like it frequently does bt kindly send me a dongle that uses ee, unfortunately no ee reception though. All this for £62 a month and the worst customer service ive ever experienced. Did get a letter the other week asking if us and the few neighbours we have wanted to contribute to fibre being installed, but with the government subsidies it still worked out to about £8k per household. Contract finishes in November so will look at 4g options.

OP
OP
chris-suffolk

chris-suffolk

Errrm all these fast speeds im reading about. Living rural im guaranteed 1.5 meg download and 0.8 upload 😳. And when it drops out, like it frequently does bt kindly send me a dongle that uses ee, unfortunately no ee reception though. All this for £62 a month and the worst customer service ive ever experienced. Did get a letter the other week asking if us and the few neighbours we have wanted to contribute to fibre being installed, but with the government subsidies it still worked out to about £8k per household. Contract finishes in November so will look at 4g options.

Wow - you must be seriously remote. We're rural, and can still get 70mb download, 17mb upload. Even before I went to fibre, I used to get 20mb over ADSL

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
From my experiences in the past, I'll never touch PlusNet or TalkTalk again. Yes, they are cheap but when things go wrong, they are listless and incompetent. I'm prepared to pay more for quick and efficient service. Being without email and broadband for ten days at a time is a right pain.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
There’s fibre to fibre and and the rest. If you are fortunate enough to have fibre right into your house you won’t go wrong. In the main this is a city thing but I have colleagues in the wildest bits of north yorkshire with 1gb connections because of B4RN, a brilliant community provider. I’m not quite in their rurality range but not in a city so I’m with BT which is adequate but only a tenth of the speeds. This is fibre to a box and copper wire to the house. Given this limitation the difference between providers comes down to customer service and package details.

Well remembered! Yes, I'm pretty much in the middle of a field in the Dales and am now on B4RN and my speed test speeds are typically in the 900 Mbps range, so not quite 1Gbps up and downstream, but near as makes no difference. Very good latency too, as you might expect. Something of an improvement on the unreliable, 2Mbps I had before the fibre was connected !

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
It depends on what speed is available where you live for any provider but Zen Internet provide a good service but it does cost more. Won a lot of awards.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was with BT for years but eventually their prices became so ridiculously high it was a mickey take.

Moved to Virgin about two years ago. Broadband only though in an emergency we can use the landline for phone calls at something like £1/minute. Incoming calls are free. The service has never missed a beat and so I've never had reason to use Customer Services. Speeds are perfectly adequate for surfing, films, on demand TV etc.

My wife and I use mobiles for all calls.

Virgin £27/month
Phones £11/month total

So everything covered for £38/month. BT, without phones, was something like £73 when we left.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just gone with Virgin Media, as a new customer was offered up to 200mbps, landline (which I won't use) and a SIM card with unlimited minutes and 3gb of data (which i won't use as I've just started another contract). For £29.99/month.

For the last 3 years I've been paying £30/month for 6mbps, as all the other companies I asked said I couldn't get fibre in my area. I'm guessing becasue they all use BT openreach?

My question is, I know VM will bump the price up to £65/month after my new customer contract is up after 18 months. Would I have any negogiating room with other companies, or are VM the only ones who can get fibre to my house? I really don't understand how/where they run the cable to my house (though I shall find out today as the engineer is coming). The lady on the phone said it would take 1-2 hours, but I don't see how they physically get the cable to the exchange? And I can't even see anything that looks like a box of wires in my area!

Drago

Legendary Member
It appears to me that theyre in breach of contract already. Id write to them record3d delivery, giving them 28 days to provide thw contracted service or you will deem them to be in breach and will terminate the contract yourself, and seek redress via the small claims court dor the money youve3 already paid for a substandard service. Print off the small claims form, fill it out and enclose a copy just to make the point that ypure serious.

Its a contract, and its incumbent upon all parties to abide by it, not just you. They'll doubtless bully, threaten and bluster, but rhe law is quite clear on the point that just because youre a customer that does not also make you a hostage when they don't privide that which you're paying them for.

Top Bottom