Broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really don't understand how/where they run the cable to my house (though I shall find out today as the engineer is coming).
I remember VM digging up a lot of pavements in towns and cities years ago to lay fibres. Where they did it, you can get VM over that fibre network. Where they didn't, you can't!

At least, that's how it was for years. I don't think they will ever lay fibre to smaller towns and villages now.

My sister is on VM in Coventry. Every now and then they try to put the price up but relent when my niece threatens to switch her mum to BT.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Talk Talk are IME crap. I not only had a data breach with them, but the customer service was dreadful as was their "efforts" in trying to fix broken broadband problems. After months of frustration, we left them to go to Plusnet who were excellent and we only left them for Sky because of costs of supply. Sky were also very good. Now switched back to Plusnet, again for costs.
My recent experience with Talk Talk suggests nothing has changed. My area is one of the rural areas being provided with money for 500Mb fibre. Earlier this year, Talk Talk offered an inducement of 6 months free 500Mb fibre on a 12 month contract, once fibre was installed. The offer seemed OK but getting a response from Talk Talk about when it is likely to be installed, is a waste of time. They don't answer from the email address they have provided and I have separately been told there is no record of me contacting the DCMS expressing an interest, even though I have an email from Talk Talk, which acknowledges my expression of interest with the DCMS.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Although I can see the centre of Northampton from my back window we're relatively rural and the best service we can have is Fibre to Cabinet/VDSL. It's available through any number of suppliers but the infrastructure, at least beyond the exchange, is identical. Were with Talk Talk for the line and Vodaphone (ex Demon) for net as we'd originally been set up in the days of dial up.

Chose PLusnet for customer service. All UK based.

scoobs

Regular
I recently moved to rural area. Ditched my previous Sky BB as they couldn’t supply. BT were the only one that could and only at a pi$$ poor speed. Sourced 4G via the link below. Not a cheap set up but not 8k either and £40pm. But....... it works very well. Good speeds, simultaneous zoom & teams meetings streaming on different devices. I’m satisfied.
https://www.4g-internet.co.uk/

@scoobs ive recently received a letter from them, and all sounds good, im thinking this might be the route to go down. Although the letter does say one of our neighbours has just joined them and are achieving fast speeds, but talking to the neighbours no one has joined, was thinking it might be a scam. What speeds are you acheiving and are you still happy?

bruce1530

Guru
Just installed a 4G broadband system for someone today. He lives in a very rural area - exchange is at the other end of several miles of prehistoric copper, and best he can get on Openreach is 1Mb/s on a good day.

He's also in an area with poor 4G coverage - the maps say Voda and 3 should be fine, but he lives in a little valley...

installed a 4G router with directional aerial - cost about £100. Getting about 10Mb/s from it. Got about 3 times that when I tried it in my house.

scoobs

Regular
@scoobs ive recently received a letter from them, and all sounds good, im thinking this might be the route to go down. Although the letter does say one of our neighbours has just joined them and are achieving fast speeds, but talking to the neighbours no one has joined, was thinking it might be a scam. What speeds are you acheiving and are you still happy?
I didn’t receive a mail shot. I had found that company via Google searching. I will say they are very responsive and customer service is excellent. Any and all questions prior to install such as can/how Sky Q work. Twice had to email them since install re Vodafone turning the ‘adult’ filter on so that perfectly innocuous sites were blocked. Sorted same day both times and is now fine.
to conclude, yes I’m very happy with it still. BT could only manage a pitiful speed over landline and were the only company that would offer a service. Obtaining here anywhere between 30 to 50+ Mbps. Quite enough to stream at 1080p, wife's zoom/team calls and virtual pilates classes from our previous location. All is good so far as I’m concerned. The company offer a generous enough cooling off period for you to test and will take a return of equipment and refund if you’re not satisfied. Nothing to lose by giving it a go.
Good luck.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been with the Post Office for years, but got a letter in Feb stating that they're leaving the telecoms market and my service will be provided by Shell Energy from 16th March. Had no complains with the PO's service (fast enough for me, never dropped, not expensive at around £27 a month for phone and BB)... hopefully this will continue with Shell.

Proto

Legendary Member
Rural location, no chance of fibre, best from copper is 1.5 mbps.

So, 4G SIM card from EE in the MicroTiK directional antenna/modem on the roof*, feeding a MicroTik router in the sitting room. Right now I’m getting 50Mbps down and 30 up, unlimited data. Costs me £34.39 per month. No landline, so no line rental charges. Hardware costs £150 ish and is easy to install if you don’t mind ladders. It’s proved to be very reliable, streaming TV, Netflix etc.

I’ve never really understood the race to install fibre, why not just 5G the whole country?

*modem gets its power from the router, fed via the the ethernet cable (PoE)

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Re Rural Fibre.

Haven't BT just had a kick up the rump from the Gov' about getting really high speed internet into a very high percentage of homes? And BT have promised a multi-billion pound investment to achieve this.

They have been *iss poor to date.

We (tiny rural village) had BT SF fibre to cabinet and a speed of 30-40 Mbps. This has now been ditched as it is antiquated and not fit for the future - check out South Korea's speeds!

We now have B4RN (Broadband For Rural Networks) which is a community based scheme (there are many across the country) and we have fibre to the house - relatively easy for us as we are, quite by chance, within a mile or so of the main internet trunking that runs up the spine of the country.

1 Gbps at the router and the only current speed limitation is the speed of the equipment connected eg our phones max out at around 150Mbps as they cannot run any faster.

All for the princely sum of £30 pm. :smile:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I've just ordered one of the latest 5g broadband routers, now 5g signals reach our house.

Not cheap to buy.

I also ordered an outdoor 4*4 Mimo 5g enabled directional antenna .

Top Bottom