Broccoli head from Spain priced 20p in supermarket.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is exactly what I've found out. :smile:

Just wish there were enough things out here that like slugs. I know I've got hedgies because the poops are unmistakeable, but still...
Ground beetles also eat slugs, and some birds do too.

But yes some years can be worse than others.

On a garden scale, or in seedling propagation areas, a head torch and a pair of scissors at night, can really reduce the population significantly... 😇

My ducks used to enjoy eating slugs ... just sayin' ...
The thing is with ducks, although they've got big flat feet, they don't scratch up like hens do, so don't do as much damage to your plants once they (the plants) have got a bit of size to them (which can be a disadvantage if you want an area cleared of weeds and well tilled ...). So on a garden or allotment size plot, a few hens and a few ducks, moved around as you see fit and according to what needs doing, are a really great help.
Rather like mixed farming in miniature!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Also they bring in the bees/insects AND, if left, the birds (tits and finches) take the seeds during the winter. In my little patch I let them self seed from that bird activity and plant my veg around the up coming seedlings.
Oh, I didn't know the birds eat the seeds in winter: I will do as you this season ^_^
I've already lots of pollinators visiting, because I grow lots of flowering herbs and borage.
This year I'm upping the ornamental flowers for extra pollinators feeding stations.
Today I have split my surplus seeds into labelled bags, I have created a seed bank for the community.
Because I'm the Co-op's local community champion (member pioneer lol!) I have put the seeds in the Co-op, then advertised in on social media.
Had a great response, it seems people were looking for something like this.
Oh, and I had a right laugh at Huw Richard, the Welsh YouTube gardener: his latest video, 10 veg that survive frost, mentions Cime di Rapa, an Italian kind of mini broccoli.
He admitted he was mispronouncing them :laugh:
I have a big bag of Cime di Rapa seeds sent to me from Italy, I've put a couple of small bags in the seed bank, wonder if they will be taken ^_^
I am off my main job till Monday now: got a heap of woodchips, 2 bulk bags of compost, one bulk bag of horse manure ... and a hedge to trim.
What more can a woman ask from life? Decent weather! ^_^
(Well, I've already got 4 bikes :whistle:)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My ducks used to enjoy eating slugs ... just sayin' ...
The thing is with ducks, although they've got big flat feet, they don't scratch up like hens do, so don't do as much damage to your plants once they (the plants) have got a bit of size to them (which can be a disadvantage if you want an area cleared of weeds and well tilled ...). So on a garden or allotment size plot, a few hens and a few ducks, moved around as you see fit and according to what needs doing, are a really great help.
Rather like mixed farming in miniature!

Yes I've run ducks through my (empty) polytunnels with great success in the past .

Not only do they fossick for all the slugs and snails, they also take all the eggs of the aforementioned..
Breaking the lifecycle very effectively .

I've had subsequent basil crops so 'perfect' in terms of no slug or snail damage , that people couldn't believe it was 'organically grown' basil 🙂

Unfortunately foxy loxy is also very keen on ducky snax.. So they are 'no longer with us'.

Not all 'wildlife' is so very welcome..

Badgers getting into the sweetcorn is also a right royal pita..
Electric fencing is the only thing that will stop them..😕
Oh, I didn't know the birds eat the seeds in winter: I will do as you this season ^_^
I've already lots of pollinators visiting, because I grow lots of flowering herbs and borage.
This year I'm upping the ornamental flowers for extra pollinators feeding stations.
Today I have split my surplus seeds into labelled bags, I have created a seed bank for the community.
Because I'm the Co-op's local community champion (member pioneer lol!) I have put the seeds in the Co-op, then advertised in on social media.
Had a great response, it seems people were looking for something like this.
Oh, and I had a right laugh at Huw Richard, the Welsh YouTube gardener: his latest video, 10 veg that survive frost, mentions Cime di Rapa, an Italian kind of mini broccoli.
He admitted he was mispronouncing them :laugh:
I have a big bag of Cime di Rapa seeds sent to me from Italy, I've put a couple of small bags in the seed bank, wonder if they will be taken ^_^
I am off my main job till Monday now: got a heap of woodchips, 2 bulk bags of compost, one bulk bag of horse manure ... and a hedge to trim.
What more can a woman ask from life? Decent weather! ^_^
(Well, I've already got 4 bikes :whistle:)
Lots of stuff going on there Pat.. 😊

I wouldn't be surprised if you get #2 son in yr area..If he's not been around already ..
:angel:

I tried Cimi de Rapa for a couple of springs but found it went to seed too quickly..

Up your way it might be a bit less keen to have babies so soon..

Four bikes is just the perfect no.

Imo

Until you need a fifth of course... :bicycle:

I have five bikes... :blush: (two are in bits, but still...)

And yes, I've discovered that slugs are very fond of basil. Ergo I keep the planter on top of the wood bins. I bought a couple of ready-to-go plants on yellow sticker in Tesco last weekend. Those will keep me going all summer. :smile:

Parsley and mint also beginning to "wake up" - can't beat fresh herbs from the garden. Oh yes, and I now have a bay tree as well, but that's staying in a planter. I know how big they can get if you plant them in open soil...

Yes I've run ducks through my (empty) polytunnels with great success in the past .

Not only do they fossick for all the slugs and snails, they also take all the eggs of the aforementioned..
Breaking the lifecycle very effectively .

I've had subsequent basil crops so 'perfect' in terms of no slug or snail damage , that people couldn't believe it was 'organically grown' basil 🙂

Unfortunately foxy loxy is also very keen on ducky snax.. So they are 'no longer with us'.

Not all 'wildlife' is so very welcome..

Badgers getting into the sweetcorn is also a right royal pita..
Electric fencing is the only thing that will stop them..😕

Lots of stuff going on there Pat.. 😊

I wouldn't be surprised if you get #2 son in yr area..If he's not been around already ..
:angel:

I tried Cimi de Rapa for a couple of springs but found it went to seed too quickly..

Up your way it might be a bit less keen to have babies so soon..

Four bikes is just the perfect no.

Imo

Until you need a fifth of course... :bicycle:

I found my ducks preferred snails to slugs, and preferred their eggs over either as adults. But even if they're not that keen on big fat juicy slugs, they still kill them very efficiently even if it's only by fighting over them with each other - if one gets something the others HAVE to try to get a bit of it as well, so the slugs get torn to death even if they're not eaten! Having an 'outdoor' Jack Russell (he was traumatised by something in his past and did not do at all well inside the house ...) prevented Mr and Mrs Fox making a meal of the Misses Puddleducks ... He had a cosily-furnished kennel right by the duck house, they were shut in at dusk but he was free to come and go, and he was an excellent sentry and nightwatchman.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Actually I found the same here. I only started them because a chef friend of mine got me a mega pack of seeds from Italy. We had a very warm April last year, they went to seed.
Then we had frost in May!
I will try again this season, started a batch now, will saw another one at the end of August.
My first frost is usually end October.
I knew about the ducks being eager slugs eaters, but I garden in an urban area, I would be reported .... I can just imagine my big Alfie trying to drag a duck through the cat flap :laugh:
Gardening news: today I donated a Marjoram plant to another gardening group.
They asked me for one a few months ago, I propagated a few from the enormous potted one I grew from seed.
I might tour the local restaurants with some fresh cooking herbs for sale ^_^
Well, I've got loads of herbs the supermarkets don't sell fresh here: marjoram, thyme, oregano, tarragon (the French one too).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Actually I found the same here. I only started them because a chef friend of mine got me a mega pack of seeds from Italy. We had a very warm April last year, they went to seed.
Then we had frost in May!
I will try again this season, started a batch now, will saw another one at the end of August.
My first frost is usually end October.
I knew about the ducks being eager slugs eaters, but I garden in an urban area, I would be reported .... I can just imagine my big Alfie trying to drag a duck through the cat flap :laugh:
Gardening news: today I donated a Marjoram plant to another gardening group.
They asked me for one a few months ago, I propagated a few from the enormous potted one I grew from seed.
I might tour the local restaurants with some fresh cooking herbs for sale ^_^
Well, I've got loads of herbs the supermarkets don't sell fresh here: marjoram, thyme, oregano, tarragon (the French one too).
Oooh yes, I love French tarragon..
Most excellent with buttered carrots..

I wonder if the cimi de rapa might well be better for later in the season, after the longest day..

More likely to concentrate on making leaves and shoots then rather than flowers, and seeds..

I saw a cat crossing the road with a poor wriggling slow worm this morning, and was reminded of how much they like eating slugs too..

Not sure if it's too cool for them in Scotland

Toads also
..we have some beautiful ones living in the polytunnels here..

Screenshot_20220422-171612.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oooh yes, I love French tarragon..
Most excellent with buttered carrots..

I wonder if the cimi de rapa might well be better for later in the season, after the longest day..

More likely to concentrate on making leaves and shoots then rather than flowers, and seeds..

I saw a cat crossing the road with a poor wriggling slow worm this morning, and was reminded of how much they like eating slugs too..

Toads also
..we have some beautiful ones living in the polytunnels here..

View attachment 641274

Regarding slow worms. I have them in my garden on Mull so not too cold. Also got a few toads.
To keep slugs and snails away from things planted in tubs I put a smear of grease round the tub which acts as a barrier.

's ok... I prefer racing drivers to princes... :blush:

Tarragon is fabulous with fish and chicken too, btw :hungry:

The herb I sometimes grow is chervil because I definitely can't get it here. It makes a fabby "green soup" teamed with young lettuce and peas - a Belgian specialty, especially with meatballs in it.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

We have slow worms here, mind, both my cats wouldn't be seen dead with one in their mouth :laugh:
With a toad, on the other hand ... :whistle:
Gardening news: my French Beans are finally sprouting, my peas are not nearly as big as yours @mudsticks :sad:Some perennial I planted last year (forgot the name) had multiplied like crazy, hopefully the flowers are nice so I can swap the off springs for something else.
My indoor tomatoes really need in the ground, but I must put up their shelter first (a basic plastic structure) because at night it's still quite cold, around 4/5C.
I have been shovelling and spreading my free woodchips since Friday, this must be the 4th lorryload I have shifted myself since summer 2020 ^_^
The kids don't want me to shift them because they like to play on them, while some adults have complained.
My loading bay is accessed from a field, it's to boggy now for a lorry, so I got them unloaded in an empty green, where usually people dump furniture.
Nobody ever complained about the furniture left there for months on end!
I put a Facebook post out for everyone to help themselves to the chips, told neighbours.
Today a woman said no thanks, too messy.
She has covered her driveway in fake grass!! :ohmy:
COP26 ... did it really happen? :sad:

Top Bottom