Broken aerial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Passing down a moderately busy road today in Birmingham (Hagley Road) which is dual lanes in both directions, but without a central reservation (ie NOT a dual carriage way) I had some joker in a huge Audi weaving about all over the place trying to jump the queues of traffic, which was moving at about 15mph. He then swerved across into me and shoved his was past...all to gain 10yrds before coming to a halt. I filtered past him with a shake of the head and thought nothing more of it. He then does the same stunt AGAIN, this time almost hitting me. I again go past him, this time gesturing that a little more room would be nice. Then when the third time happens I'm afraid I did reach over and snap his aerial off and throw it onto his bonnet before I shot off down a side road, leaving him stuck in the traffic jam.
I usually don't advocate this type of behaviour, but once or twice I can forgive, three times endangering me to gain nothing was too much, and he deserved some retribution. :evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hope he doesn't catch up with you some time next week. :wacko:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Following on from fossy I hope you're not too distinctive or he may come looking for you. Why not just tap on the window and have a chat rather than perform criminal damage?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Just FYI if someone now searches "hagley road broken aerial" or similar this thread pops up near the top, google having indexed your confession. ;)

On topic, I really dont agree with going as far as criminal damage because of some erratic/dangerous driving, should have just left the scene avoiding the danger without doing it and/or reported them. Maybe it made him think, or maybe it just propagated a stereotype of cycling vigilantes :P

mr Mag00

rising member
ooops
know how you feel but mistake to interfere with someone else's possessions, tap on the window as he was a sitting duck inthe traffic for you to talk to, even he didnt listen it allows you to vent and they have no where to go and then you cycle away through the traffic when they respond.
damage? no wrong route for me , sorry

HovR

Über Member
Just FYI if someone now searches "hagley road broken aerial" or similar this thread pops up near the top.. ;)

You don't even have to be that specific. Googling "broken aerial cyclist" or replace cyclist with "cycle" comes up with this thread at the top.

In all honestly I don't agree with this action. Hardly helps the over-all general image of cyclists. :wacko:

If we read a headline somewhere next week "Cyclist gets battered". We will know probably know why he got battered.

Steve

Chips anyone? :whistle:

pplpilot

Guru
First 'real post' other than in the hello section.... Anyhow... Seriously? You did this? I use the hagley road regularly (in the car) and i know what a racetrack it can be but f***K me was there really any need for this kind of behaviour? Ok we have a cock in a car being a twat, had he hit you or knocked you off i could understand some sort of retaliation, all you have succeeded in doing is adding fuel to the fire. We all experience peanuts on the road on a daily basis, i do In excess of 30k a year in the car and get it all the time and i dare say ive pissed a few people off on ocasion. My attitude is just shrug it off and move on, lifes too short for such 'urban warrior' behaviour.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[QUOTE 1855039, member: 9609"]Do Audi's have an aerial ? or at least a traditional type of aerial that can be snapped off, not many cars do these days and the prestigious nob end ones haven't had them for many years.[/quote]

It was a decoy ariel! You'll be the star of a new Channel Five documentary :tongue:

If the OP really did do this (there is a whiff of invention and wishful thinking to it) then it is not something to crow about, post about or be encouraged.

Some of us have done similar things but it is never the correct response to poor driving.

To those who feel the need to commit acts of criminal damage, I'd suggest door mirrors - allegedly an easier target and they don't have to be grasped, just thumped hard from above with a closed fist.

Anyone who finds the OP massively credible, find a dumped car with an aerial and try to snap it off with a single grasp. The first tough job is to find a quality car with a visible or 'grabbable' aerial. You may succeed in removing the thing. It's likely you won't. Now try doing so with sweaty hands in cycling gloves in traffic while seated on a bicycle. Difficult becomes borderline impossible.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1855430, member: 9609"]A better response would be to invest in a helmet cam and take revenge through uTube or the law. The days are gone (sadly) when knocking a few teeth out was considered fair play.[/quote]
Ah, the good old days when being 6'6" actually meant something on the road.

Gary E

Veteran
Don't want to just jump on the band wagon here but all that your actions will do is annoy him and make him even less likely to be considerate to riders in future.
Some poor unsuspecting cyclist may well pay the price for your actions some time in the future.

Top Bottom