Broken Brompton - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I needed to have the hinge rebuilt and a new seatpost sleeve installed I had to make a box and ship it about 1400 miles to a shop I knew would do a good job. Fortunately they returned it in a brompton box so next time I can just ship it and they did a good job, too.
For those of us also stateside, do you care to share the name of the shop you are referring to?

12boy

Guru
Sure, Perennial Cycles in Minnesota. I had drilled a small hole in the frame above the hinge into which I can insert lube for the spindle and they tapped some threads for a tiny bolt. Hopefully the lube will extend the life of the hinge.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some people add a grease nipple so you can force grease through at thousands of psi until it squidges out of either side (Moultons have this as standard). In practice, the Brompton bushes seem to survive mamy years' hard use with no attention, although it's not the nicest design.

Jimmeee

Regular
Brompton tip: Keep the box it comes in if you have room, because you never know when you might want to send the bike somewhere.
I've just bought a 2nd hand m6l and the previous owner gave me the box. I was going to chuck it out but I'll think again now...

12boy

Guru
If you live somewhere where there are actually brick and mortar stores, It might be good to beg a box from them just in case. Building my own was a massive PITA.

Top Bottom