Broken Collarbone!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chfp77

Was riding along,hit a patch of oil/diesel,next thing i know blood pouring out my head and a very dull ache from my collarbone.Having broke my collarbone before (playing football) i knew what i'd done straight away.I'm not due back @ the hospital for 3 weeks and im looking for any ideas how to keep the weight off as i am constantly hungary.I know this is probably due to boredem,but im struggling!!!!!!! Was really looking foward to getting some good miles in during the winter,for the start of the new season :biggrin::biggrin:!:angry::angry:!!!!!!!!!!

Ravenz

xx( very bad luck, speedy recovery..
if you are member of a gym, do they offer Spinning classes?
If not, does your local authority leisure centre offer PAYG classes?
I dont think you should 'starving' yourself however... your body needs to repair.
Try to up the CV exercise in other ways this time of year...
I was out on Saturday and despite the sunshine and blue skies, the road conditions were truly awful in places and I also had a moment where my foot slipped coming out of the pedal due to lack of feel and slippery wet crud.. so for the sake of 'having' to get road miles... I will not get impatient about putting road work in... but I know hitting diesel can happen at any time of year ..

jimboalee

Bummer,, just before Christmas.

Look on the bright side, you're excused from washing up.

Madcap idea for weight maintenance during upper body injury -

Find a hill and walk up it. Preferably with not much clothing.
Then try with a 10 kg disc roped round your belt loops.

Try Pen-y-Fan.

OP
OP
chfp77

chfp77

Once my injury gets less painful,im gonna hook up my turbo (even more boring!!!!!!) and try keep going on that.Gonna have a look into the spinning,must be better than the turbo in the house!Cheers for that.

02GF74

Über Member
don't buy any food ,espacillay crisps and similar. I know what you mean about boredom, so you eat a crisp., then another, then antoher and before you know it, the whole jumbo bag has been scoffed.

have satsumas, carrots and other horrid fruit stuff around so if you do get tempted, at least you are eating healthy stuff.

if you can set up a turbo, then that'll be good training although boring as hell...

speedy recovery BTW

Leadlegs

I broke my collar bone in August so can sympathise with how you feel. It was an impressive looking break when I saw my x-ray, and understood why the doctor told me not to do anything that will move my shoulder for the first month. My, that was boring, but it did pass.

After that I was given the okay to take off my sling and use a turbo, so that's what I did. Yes it can be boring but as it was the only hard exercise I was getting I actually began to look forward to my almost daily session. Music helped a lot.

As for avoiding putting on weight I minimised the unhealthy junk food readily available in the house and stocked up on healthy items. When I ate just for something to do at least it was food that was nutritious and good for me.

Eight weeks after breaking my collar bone I was given the okay to ride the roads again. During that time I actually lost weight.

Sounds silly, but resistance training by walking in a swimming pool is very good, although you may get some stange looks/comments.

Or just bob up and down pushing off with the ball of your feet.

Hope you recover soon. I was off the bike for four weeks when I broke my collarbone.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hang in there. I broke my leg in January and was pretty down about it! But back on the turbo within a month and on the road pretty quickly, so don't be too down.

One piece of advice...buy yourself something BIG on a DVD box set and work your way through it on the turbo. Sex and the City series one to six kept me going on the turbo because it's SO dull;!!

peanut

chfp77 said:
Once my injury gets less painful,im gonna hook up my turbo (even more boring!!!!!!) and try keep going on that.Gonna have a look into the spinning,must be better than the turbo in the house!Cheers for that.

They are fixed and take some getting used to. Not everybody's cup of tea.
I switched to using the exercise bikes in the gym instead.
My gym has a wellness system which is computer run with a memory key. The key contains programs for all the equipment you use and gives an extensive report after a session plus keeps a full record on graphs etc
Brilliant!
You can change the bikes resistance all the time to over ride your program and it is sufficient resistance to stand out of the saddle.
nice and warm dry and safe .You can use rowing machines and cross trainers for variety plus plenty of very shapely females around for distraction

OP
OP
chfp77

chfp77

IT GETS WORSE !!!!!!!!!

Just come back from my 3week check up on the break.It hasnt knitted at all and have to have surgery to pin it first thing tomorrow :laugh::smile:!:ohmy::angry::ohmy::angry:
MERRY F*#"KIN CHRISTMAS!!!!!:biggrin:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oh Chfp!! You POOR thing. Have you had the surgery? How was it? How are you feeling?

Pinning broken bones is definitely the way forward...it'll get so much better so quickly now!!

Happy New Year.... ;(

OP
OP
chfp77

chfp77

Cathryn said:
Oh Chfp!! You POOR thing. Have you had the surgery? How was it? How are you feeling?

Pinning broken bones is definitely the way forward...it'll get so much better so quickly now!!

Happy New Year.... ;(

Had the surgery new years eve and came out of hospital new years day.Its swollen,bruised and v.sore but at least now i know its on the mend:smile:!!

Top Bottom