Broken down tube shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grishaaa

Regular
i was in a day trip,and at last miles before getting home i came under thunder storm.then i have trouble while reassemble and cleaning with downe tube shifrers (Campagnolo record),when i tryed to release it,cable stop ring,which attached to down tube was just cut off((( probably because metal is pretty old.So i want to ask,is it possible somehow fix it like welding or another way to diy.right now i cant get new one,its at least one month of waiting delivery time(.i just dont want loose almost a half season on it...

im tryed to fix it by metal strap from hardware store,but it prevents switching shifters,so its did not work..
have any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 46

KneesUp

Guru
Options I can think of:

1) find a friend with a bike they don't use - borrow any old shifters off that.
2) buy a scrap bike and use the shifters off that. You could sell the other bits?
3) get someone to weld the two parts of the shifters onto that repair strap (jubilee clip)

As your gears aren't indexed any old shifters will do, and basic ones are quite cheap - they will keep you going until you can get a 'better' replacement.

Lonestar

Veteran
I got mine off of ebay for the Audax.

Isn't there a way you can fit them onto the lugs on the frame.That's what I did.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
As the OP mentions a month delivery time, I am guessing he or she is somewhere where it will take a month to get new ones delivered - and the question is how to get the gears working during the month of waiting.

OP
OP
grishaaa

grishaaa

Regular
i found almost a same shifters on ebay,they are perfect,indeed,but it will delivered around a month,during which i have no bike,so its not cool,i beleve there is should another ways,how to fix it permanently.

OP
OP
grishaaa

grishaaa

Regular
Options I can think of:

1) find a friend with a bike they don't use - borrow any old shifters off that.
2) buy a scrap bike and use the shifters off that. You could sell the other bits?
3) get someone to weld the two parts of the shifters onto that repair strap (jubilee clip)

As your gears aren't indexed any old shifters will do, and basic ones are quite cheap - they will keep you going until you can get a 'better' replacement.
every one around ride on fixgear or single speed, so its like exotic bike part in my area.i hope welding can be resolve this problem.

Lonestar

Veteran
Another option is just use it as a one gear bike.(I've done that before).Hopefully there aren't any big hills or whatnot but where is n+1?

Tim Hall

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Ajax Bay

Guru
im tryed to fix it by metal strap from hardware store,but it prevents switching shifters,so its did not work..
have any suggestions?
I have the same generation Campagnolo Record levers.
the question is how to get the gears working during the month of waiting.
Pending arrival of replacement band, I suggest that you use a hose clip like the one pictured, but wider. Cut two holes the correct distance apart which will slot over the two raised areas of the Campagnolo band and secure/tighten the hose clip underneath the down tube, where the fastening will not foul the levers. This may not work (because the worm grip thread in the stainless steel makes it too weak) but it might, and get you riding again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom