Broken neck and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am just wondering if any other members have fractured their neck and/or back and what recovery time they had before cycling again?
Last Saturday a car pulled out on me while I was doing about 30mph. I have no recollection of the accident, but looking at my helmet and the injuries I recieved and from what I have been told by the police, it looks as though I have hit the door pillar with the top/left side of my head and then gone through the drivers window. I suffered a fracture in my neck (T1) and in my back (C6 and 7) I am now out of hospital and in a neck brace for 6-8 weeks. I have various cuts and bruises but I am not worried about them, they will heal quickly enough. I am generally quite fit 42 year old and I have been told that may help me heal a little quicker than most, but what sort of time will I bee off the bike and any tips for getting back quicker?

any tips for getting back quicker?

I can't offer any medical advice Martin, but I would say IMO that this is probably one of those instances when it's better to take your medicine and let time do it's thing.

Anyhoo, from a fellow Boltonian I do hope you GWS fella and that the outcome of any investigation is the correct one :hugs:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I am just wondering if any other members have fractured their neck and/or back and what recovery time they had before cycling again?
Last Saturday a car pulled out on me while I was doing about 30mph. I have no recollection of the accident, but looking at my helmet and the injuries I recieved and from what I have been told by the police, it looks as though I have hit the door pillar with the top/left side of my head and then gone through the drivers window. I suffered a fracture in my neck (T1) and in my back (C6 and 7) I am now out of hospital and in a neck brace for 6-8 weeks. I have various cuts and bruises but I am not worried about them, they will heal quickly enough. I am generally quite fit 42 year old and I have been told that may help me heal a little quicker than most, but what sort of time will I bee off the bike and any tips for getting back quicker?

Nasty, glad you're here to tell the tale though. GWS!!!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

So, erm, how's the bike?

GC

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Blimey. :eek: GWS:B).

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
So, erm, how's the bike?

GC

Looks to be in better shape than me. It certainly stood up to the car better than my last Wilier, which shattered at the headstock. I will have to have it x rayed as it is a carbon frame, but it looks as though the rear mech is bent and scratches to the frame, levers, saddle and bar tape. The DI2 isnt working but I think the battery may be dead. I will charge it before I take it to the shop for the insurance valuation.

Top Bottom