Broken SKS mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Noticed a bit of rattling up front, turned out the front portion of the mudguard (ahead of the brake caliper) has sheared off near the fixing point.

The guards seem to have a layer of metal running though so possibly fatigue from vibration loading?

How much does this part of the mudguard stop mud?

Drago

Legendary Member
Stops a fair bit of water being thrown in your face at that point.

Got any picks of the break?

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
39d69de99e.jpg
39d6be6b09.jpg
39d6ae2e3e.jpg
39d69adec1.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Just removed the SKS jobs from my ex commuter, albeit a different model of guards to yours. They're in A1 condition with about 6000 miles on them. Only removed them as I've switched to 28c's and the clearance was a bit tight for comfort.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mine did err.... probably 20 000 before I combined 2sets to keep them going.... must buy another set for the donor bike, today I had to slow down to avoid getting covered in mud off the wheels.

Older SKS seem to last longer and have better quality fittings than the newer ones. My commuting ones are 9 years old so have about 30,000 miles or more.

zizou

Veteran
Their warranty is pretty good (or at least it was a couple of years ago) so worth contacting them

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Mine bought in May 2015 just sheared off at the bridge on the rear. I bought another set by SKS though. Amazon refunded the cost of the first set immediately on a webchat complaint.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Very impressed!

They seem to agree that 3000km is a bit premature and are sending me a new front guard, which is very generous IMO.
Excellent, I was going to chip in and say that my SKS guards have done around 6yrs/15,000 miles and still going strong. Had to replace the rivets in the lower fixing at the front when the original ones rotted out but otherwise a quality and robust product.

I have some that I've forgotten the age of - been repaired with silver duct tape for a few years - helps make the bike look less nickable - still going strong.