Broken Wrist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edwardd67

Hi Guys

My wife failed to unclip hers SPDs on Sunday resulting in a break to her Wrist.
The Doctor we saw was himself a keen cyclist .
As he result he took a little pity on her ------result being plaster cast for 2 weeks back to hospital another x-ray then hopefully a splint instead of a another cast.
My wife is training for her first Triathlon in May.
Spinning 3-4 times a week plus still running 3 times a week. No swimming.
How long do you think before she should get back on her bike and on the road again?
Cheers
ED

subaqua

What’s the point
depends if she is like any other woman and will listen to the docs ;)

in reality depends on the splint type.

when i bashed my wrist before christmas it was too painful to use the brakes or change gear. the doc at the fracture clinic will advise the best time frame . medical advice over the internet is always a gamble and worth exactly what you paid for it

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I was probably about 6 weeks last year and that was a cracked bone, not a full break, out of alignment etc. I road sooner than that but just very gently and I reckon it was close to 4 months before I got no pain from a longer ride.

Worth following medical/physio advice very closely though, I went too far too fast with an elbow break and that gave me knock on problems resulting in an operation. I may yet need another operation, but it's been behaving itself for a few months now.

woohoo

Veteran
When I was in my 20s, I broke my scaphoid and was in plaster of 3 months. Two weeks after I was out of plaster I broke the bloody thing again in a fairly innocoous fall, so be careful.

OP
OP
edwardd67

edwardd67

Do you know what bone was actually broken and where abouts? It makes quite a difference in terms of recovery time.
Damage to both the Radius and the Lunate but not too badly.
But still bad enough to be in plaster :biggrin:
The Doc will review in 2 weeks and decided best course of action then.

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply.

darkstar

When I broke my wrist I was out snowboarding the next day. The cast gives a lot of support and you just need to make sure there is no direct impact. Does she use tri bars for her triathlon? That would reduce the impact of having the cast one. She'll be able to run, it's just the swimming thats the pain!

Though with all that exercise, I'm glad I won't be there when the cast comes off :0

Top Bottom