Bromley Cyclists - North Essex Undulations - Saffron Walden & It's Environs - Saturday 25th April 09

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here we go again with another Bromley Cyclists ride. :tongue:

Although an LCC and Bromley Cyclists event, You do not need to be a member to take part. Tourers, Roadies, Hybrids, experienced riders and those not so, . . we wait for all... Just turn up and go . . .
All are welcome.

Day: Saturday 25th April 2009
Contact Ride Leader: Andrew Fergar
Email : kayacan@aol.com
Mobile : 07717 693 701 (no text's please)

Meeting Points
Liverpool Street Station: Meet Ian and Andrew 08:35 by main ticket office at Liverpool Street Station for the 08:58 train to Newport , Essex - ETA 09:57

or
07:20 on Bromley North Station Forecourt Meet Andrew for the 07:35 train to London Bridge (changing at Grove Park) ...we then have stacks of time to cycle to Liverpool Street Station ..then we too will get the 08:58

Or meet at Newport Station for 10am.

Buy return tickets to Audley End

Today's ride is Bromley Cyclists first venture into Essex ...and is 45 Miles in length with 2108 ft of ascent and descent ...not that flat ...fairly hilly really. However ...North Essex is rather picturesque and somewhat different to Kent ...so worth an explore methinks.

Once we get to Newport we head in a South Easterly direction through Debden & Thaxted ...thence to Great Bardfield ..then we start Northwards to Toppesfield and Stambourne ..and also visit the interestingly named village of Helions Bumpstead ...onwards then to Bartlow ....which lies in Cambridgeshire ...before heading South again to Ashdon and Saffron Walden itself ...where we might well have a little look at this most interesting town ...afterwards we will go to Audley End Station for trains home (it is one station on from Newport). Lunch stop to be decided.

If anyone would like a Memory map (mmo) file or gpx file of the route.
Please pm me.
We look forward to seeing you.
Ian

What Should I Take With Me on a Ride?

Always
Water
Money
Inner tubes (2 are recommended)
Tools to remove your wheel and tyre
Pump
Lights
Lock
Puncture repair kit

Consider
Waterproofs
Helmet (especially for mountain bike rides)
An extra clothing layer
Eye protection (sun glasses)
Sun screen
Snacks (flapjacks, bananas etc)
Maps
Camera
Mobile phone
First aid kit
Gear cable
Brake cable

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm up for this, despite the hills (I think I can cope now).

Do you have a GPS route for it, Ian?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
ianrauk said:
Will send tonight HellsBells
Hmmm, let's see. You have equated me with what passes for music in the fiery lake of burning sulphur, the place of eternal torment and despair.

Perhaps I need to work on my charm a little more :biggrin:

Andrew Fergar sent me the route as an MMO but I can't seem to find any software to read that one!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
MMO is Multimap.

HellsBells, reason was listening to internet radio and Hells Bells by ac/dc was playing whilst I was posting :-)

stevevw

Guru
Ian
I will be travelling back from France on the Friday night so will probably miss this ride, which is a shame as I could have riden over and been able to get a 100+ miler in. Any way nice location, nice tea room in Thaxted may be a bit small if you go mob handed.

See you the week after for AH's ride.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Steve,
Unfortunately can't make Helens ride.
Football calls.

stevevw

Guru
I will be at Wembley the Saturday after with Stevenage Boro. The day before the Suffolk Sunrise ride. I best not celebrate too hard.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Is this the ride you're dragging arallsopp on, ilovebikes? I think he's got a bit confused about what's what (or perhaps not) as I think he might be mixing this one up with my next week's CC ride. Or is he coming to both? Are you both coming to both?

Will see y'all at Newport Station at ten-ish. Weather looking slightly rainy at the moment which is annoying as I've taken my mudguards off!

iLB

Hello there
Auntie Helen said:
Is this the ride you're dragging arallsopp on, ilovebikes? I think he's got a bit confused about what's what (or perhaps not) as I think he might be mixing this one up with my next week's CC ride. Or is he coming to both? Are you both coming to both?

Will see y'all at Newport Station at ten-ish. Weather looking slightly rainy at the moment which is annoying as I've taken my mudguards off!

lol :tongue:

erm i'm doing both and i think he's doing both, easily confused that one, its the air down there on those 'bents i think :biggrin:;)

karimali831

I wish I could turn up to these events but I ended up in a accident and now my bike is completey ruined!! Got hit by a car that was driving at 40mph on a dual carriage-way just before barley lane junction on the A12/Easten avenue. I indicated and turned right and she made the same turn hitting the left side off my bike. Apparently this indian woman that wore sun glasses said she was driving too fast and could not see me apparently.

Only the aluminium frame stayed intact. Luckily for me, I was not injured nor hurt at all. Good thing it was not my fault, she'll have to pay for the cover of it along with my damaged wear. All new mechanism/wheels etc to be replaced without paying anything :tongue:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
karimali,
sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. The main thing is that you are in one piece. Also sorry you can't make the ride, but we look forward to seeing you sometime soon.
Ian.

Top Bottom