Brommie - slipping seat post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a problem with my Brompton. The seat post keeps slipping. By the time I've cycled the three miles from the station to work, it has slipped about two inches. However, if I tighten the nut sufficiently to stop the slippage, I cannot fold and unfold the bike. Does this indicate some difficult-to-fix problem in the seat post collar? It looks like I will have to spend some time and money replacing many of the parts. If I cannot fix the seat post problem myself then I might just ask the bike shop to do it all.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Have you tried cleaning the seat post?

Kell

Veteran
Mine slipped when the bike was new - I think it might have been too clean.

I did read about people putting another seat clamp on the seat post itself, and clamping it tight to stop the seat post from going in to the seat tube, but I just tried scuffing the seat post with some sand paper.

This completely cured it for me.

Though it does mean your shiny looks a little less shiny.

Kell

Veteran
It would take a little longer, but probably no more than having to undo two on telescopic seat posts.

I think the idea is that you add a QR seat clamp. so you undo two and the seat post slips through it.

Seemed a bit of a faff, but it was next on my list if the sandpaper trick didn't work.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't really like the idea of sandpapering my seat post. I could use an extra QR clamp, but I don't really like that idea either. I have seen posts on other site which suggested friction paste. Has anyone heard of this?

Kell

Veteran
Are you still suffering?

Top Bottom