Brompton 3 speed SA hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yes but which hub; BSR, SRAM or SA?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is there a correctly adjusted marker anywhere that I'd need to line up when changing the cable or after disconnecting the linkage to fix a flat?

possibly or maybe not but anyway::

assuming you haven't unscrewed it from the drum (if you have screw it back in again tight and back it off slightly to leave pointing to 3o'clock)
put lever in 3rd and reattach the barrel screw to leave it hangling slightly slack. then check there are 2 defined movements of the chain coming out as you change from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. If you take out all the slack on 2nd then you have over tightened it. Test ride it and fine tune. The freewheel doesn't click in 2nd which is also a handy guide.

more detail on Sheldon brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
possibly or maybe not but anyway::

assuming you haven't unscrewed it from the drum (if you have screw it back in again tight and back it off slightly to leave pointing to 3o'clock)
put lever in 3rd and reattach the barrel screw to leave it hangling slightly slack. then check there are 2 defined movements of the chain coming out as you change from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. If you take out all the slack on 2nd then you have over tightened it. Test ride it and fine tune. The freewheel doesn't click in 2nd which is also a handy guide.

more detail on Sheldon brown
http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html
Ta, luckily I've not needed it yet, just mulling over the difference between the chain pull system and my Alfine and an old dualdrive hub I had, they both seem rather more straightforward for wheel removal and gear setting, but I guess the proof will be in the doing.

no doubt jinxed myself for a visit from the fairy in the next day or two now *gulps*

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you've not split the barrel adjuster then the lock nut will keep the position for you - back it off 1 turn as you slacken it and then up one turn when you rejoin it.

But yes welcome to the joys of brompton ownership, anything involving removing the rear wheel is a faff!

Top Bottom