Brompton and other bags/accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
So what’s up with all the Brompton gear and accessories.

When my Brompton comes next month it will have an S-bag, whatever that is, but on doing some research there seem to be loads of others types by Brompton, some other make I can’t remember that starts with an O, Carradice and others.

Is some of this just badge snobbery/posing, or is there a reason why some are buying one make over the others?

I am not looking to criticise someone who goes for Carradice over Brompton, I am just curious for some views before I decide in the future to extend my bag/carrier collection.

alicat

Legendary Member
I guess people just choose what suits their needs and purse. Some people resent the fact that often Brompton's own gear seems to cost more than is strictly warranted and so opt out when they can.

When I bought my Brompton second hand it came with an old-style T bag that is falling part. The new one seems dear for what it is.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The S-bag is, I think, the medium one, but is still a decent size.

Lots of pockets inside and out, a shoulder strap, and mine came with a fluorescent rain cover - I didn't find that for a few months because I didn't undo the zip pocket it was in.

Overall, it's a good bag.

But as has been said, at £100 or so it's a lot of money.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
IIRC the S bag is reduced in height as the standard (O?) is too tall for bikes with the straight S-bar.

I've had three different standard front panniers over 14 years. The original was a red trimmed Carradice product and the second more obviously Brompton branded. Both were excellent for capacity and utility bit died from failed zips.

The current version with Velcro+clip fastenings is a great improvement.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Being tight poor, I just make up my own.

The first being a motorbike tank top bag with an oak socket I made. Works well but the oak was too chunky to allow the fold with the bag attached.
DSC_0099.jpg

The second being an old motorbike pannier. I made an aluminium socket this time and I am working on the jig to make more.
DSC_1208.JPG
DSC_1209.JPG

I also added a block to the rear of the saddle.
dsc_0947a-jpg.15099.jpg

I also make my own saddle bags.
DSC_0110.jpg

I also make trailers.
Compact:
dsc_0979-jpg.15776.jpg

Extended:
dsc_0982-jpg.15777.jpg

I also fitted a grip shift and made leather grips to loose the horrible standard shifter.
DSC_0199.jpg

I will have a go at making almost anything.

Brommyboy

Über Member
If getting an S type bike, then the T bag and maybe some others will be too high for safe fitting: the S bars are 3" lower than the M. O bags are made by Ortleib, totally waterproof but much more costly. T bag for touring, basket for shopping. Other bags tend to be smaller day bags.

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
great thanks for the comments. I am not sure yet if I want to get a rack put on the back or buy other bags so am keeping my options open. Since the bike will come with some special edition bits I might want to look after the original saddle and grips and replace with some Brooks goodies instead and keep the others in storage , so I can keep the bike in as good a condition as possible if I ever decide to sell it in the future.

Top Bottom