Brompton arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My Brompton dealer advised me to keep the sturdy cardboard box the bike comes in because it's handy if you need to send the bike somewhere.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I picked up my 1st Brompton this weekend (non-Superlight version) and although it was heavier than I was expecting, I am still very happy with it.

I didn’t test ride or really even see one up close before I decided to get my S6L but I am still glad I did, it folds up really small and I love the fact you can just fold up the rear wheel and just park it. It does feel really nippy once on the go and I quite like the flat bar feel of the S (having previously had a flat bar mini-velo of similar size).

Getting to grips with the fold/unfold is a bit of a challenge but I am sure after a while it will become 2nd nature. It doesn’t help I am left handed as I am trying to do it from the right hand side of the bike but I know I will work it out eventually.
Overall very pleased and I look forward to getting some good use out of it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I picked up my 1st Brompton this weekend (non-Superlight version) and although it was heavier than I was expecting, I am still very happy with it.

I didn’t test ride or really even see one up close before I decided to get my S6L but I am still glad I did, it folds up really small and I love the fact you can just fold up the rear wheel and just park it. It does feel really nippy once on the go and I quite like the flat bar feel of the S (having previously had a flat bar mini-velo of similar size).

Getting to grips with the fold/unfold is a bit of a challenge but I am sure after a while it will become 2nd nature. It doesn’t help I am left handed as I am trying to do it from the right hand side of the bike but I know I will work it out eventually.
Overall very pleased and I look forward to getting some good use out of it.

definately do it from the left hand side of the bike, you use both hands anyway so your cackhandedness is no excuse.^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
definately do it from the left hand side of the bike, you use both hands anyway so your cackhandedness is no excuse.^_^

This being an internet forum someone is bound to disagree.

And that someone is me.

I fold the Brommie while standing to the right, I think that's because it's easier to pull the front wheel towards me and hook it onto the rear triangle.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Useless without pictures....;)

Pics attached, apologies if they come up large, I havent worked out my new camera phone yet.

Re the fold, I am sure I will work it out eventually :-).

2013-04-28-0049_zps21b862bd.jpg

2013-04-27-0048_zpsc5a430f5.jpg

2013-04-27-0047_zps1222e459.jpg

iancvt55

Had my Brompton a week too and not used it once. Just can't get on with the over complicated folding and unfolding. Tryed standing both sides of it and in the end my Dahon has been used for the daily commute.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Had my Brompton a week too and not used it once. Just can't get on with the over complicated folding and unfolding. Tryed standing both sides of it and in the end my Dahon has been used for the daily commute.

Oh dear! I'll have it if your chucking it!

seadragonpisces

Über Member

I find it hard too but after looking at some clips on Youtube I might be doing it wrong.

When I do the part when you fold the bars (with the plastic hook thingie) onto the rear I think you are supposed to have the front of the bike slightly elevated.

I have tried and tired and only works if I really force it I mostly keep the bike in the conservatory with the rear wheel folded up, so have only forced it twice. I am pretty sure I am just doing it wrong and that for me is the only faffy part of the process. If you are struggling with the same part then maybe someone can clear it up for me/us

StuartG

slower but further
If you are forcing - you are doing it wrong. The blame must go to the dealer who should have taken time to both shown you how to do it properly and the principle behind it. YouTube proves it easy/quick but its hard to grasp the 3D fold from a 2D source. Do stop another Brommie rider and ask them to show you, in slow motion, it will then all click into place and you will be truly welcomed into the fold ...

Top Bottom