Brompton arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Thanks. I knew I was the liability as it should be a doddle to do, which is why I haven’t attempted it since

Sound advice asking someone on another Brommie. I don’t see that many here in my village and locale where I live but I will try and track someone down

StuartG

slower but further
Yes London is a little more Brompton territory. The key is the seatpost. This locks/unlocks the fold. Out of sequence and you will need more than force!

For folding I do:
* Flick rear wheel under
* Make sure RH pedal is facing rearward and handlebars are pointing a little left.
* Undo mainbar hinge and with handlebars flip back.
* The clip on the front wheel should naturally ride up and over the rear wheel bar and drop.
* Drop seat post. This locks the fold.
* Undo handlebar hinge. It should fall under its own weight into the receiving clip

That's it. Just reverse to unfold.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes London is a little more Brompton territory. The key is the seatpost. This locks/unlocks the fold. Out of sequence and you will need more than force!

For folding I do:
* Flick rear wheel under
* Make sure RH pedal is facing rearward and handlebars are pointing a little left.
* The clip on the front wheel should naturally ride up and over the rear wheel bar and drop.
* Undo handlebar hinge. It should fall under its own weight into the receiving clip

This is the key step - there is a tendancy for those unfamiliar to try to fold thefront wheel backwards. You keep the wheel facing forwards but fold the frame back. Much easier to do / show than explain. The order - as above is key.

Once you are sued to it, its second nature and take less than 20 seconds if thant any consolation!

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I got the call this afternoon to inform me that my Brom is ready for collection although I won't be able to get to it until Thursday. I'm a bit excited and may have squealed down the phone at the nice man in the shop :blush:

seadragonpisces

Über Member

For folding I do:
* Flick rear wheel under

Ok I have it sussed now, for my issue anyway. I should really have practiced a bit more before I just started to force it. I have realised that when you undo the main bracket to fold around the bars that the bike needs to be leant back a touch, with also a little pressure on the seat with your right hand (if you are doing it from the left so to speak), which forces down the bar where the plastic hook fits onto. Once you do that then you have loads of space. The rest of the process is fine, so cant believe I didn’t try and work it out earlier, just laziness really.

Thanks for the help, I am now part of the gang.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
FIFY and welcome. Planned any continental tours yet? :smile:

Not yet, I am getting my bum used to the Brooks saddle I bought to go with the bike and I need to wear it in a bit. A tour would be nice, somewhere around France, or my locale in Herts :-)

I have been through a few different types of bikes over the past couple of years, but I have a feeling I will have this Brompton a really long time, it is so practical.

Top Bottom