Brompton B75: How to fix Uneven brake pads on front wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kj92

Morning all!

Mere kilometers away from my 200km goal this month, my bike riding buddy noticed that the brakes on my bike were constantly biking on the front wheel (a lot more so on one side than the other).

First I tried adjusting the brakes using the nut on the brake levers, but they made no difference.

Next, I've tried resetting it with the brake cable, but they're both still uneven (see photos).

Can anyone please assist with some advice? How do I adjust them both evenly?! 😬

gizmo1994

There is a small hex head grub screw on the calliper itself, adjusting this will trim the pads left and right.

Sharky

Guru
Have the calipers just been slightly knocked/pushed from one side? I just twist the whole caliper a fraction on the bolt that goes thru the forks. May need to slacken and re-tighten the bolt if difficult to twist.

OP
OP
kj92

kj92

There is a small hex head grub screw on the calliper itself, adjusting this will trim the pads left and right.
I think this is for a different issue, I need to move the whole arm that connects the calipers. But thanks for your suggestion though? (I think that's right anyway)

OP
OP
kj92

kj92

Have the calipers just been slightly knocked/pushed from one side? I just twist the whole caliper a fraction on the bolt that goes thru the forks. May need to slacken and re-tighten the bolt if difficult to twist.

The bike did fall over not too long ago, so it may have been this... I'll give that a go. Thanks!

simongt

Guru
Is the front wheel correctly centred in the forks - ? Even a small tilt to one side will make a lot of difference to brake wear.

OP
OP
kj92

kj92

Is the front wheel correctly centred in the forks - ? Even a small tilt to one side will make a lot of difference to brake wear.
Thanks for the suggestion! It ended up being because the wind (on the coast) made the bike fall over and asked the brake pad holder (... can you tell I'm not 100% on the terminology?)

simongt

Guru
(... can you tell I'm not 100% on the terminology?)
Nae worries kj92, at 67, I'm old school on terminology and half the techno terms of recent years have me puzzled - ! :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ideally the head of the adjuster should just protrude from the caliper (for Shimano brakes, I assume Alhonga or whatever Brompton use are similar).

If the adjuster is a long way out or in, return it to a mid position and centre the brake first using the mounting bolt. The adjuster is really for very fine tweaking.

Top Bottom