Brompton bag reluctant to release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My Brompton bag is getting very hard to release - you really have to press the release catch incredibly hard. I assume there must be some play in the plastic part so even with the thumb part pushed all the way back, part of the actual release is still slightly engaged.

Is there a cure for this, or does it require a new mounting block?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'd start by checking that (a) the screw holding the catch mechanism and (b) the bolts holding the block to the frame are correctly tightened. Actually, dealing with (b) will require (a) to be released and re-secured. That should also give the opportunity to check the rest of the block for cracks/fatigue etc. Worth checking the bag's frame as well. If no joy then replace. The block is not that expensive after all.

Brommyboy

Über Member
It may be that the bracket is sticking, not the release catch: Vaseline the inside curves of the bag bracket so that it slides over the front block easily.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Thanks, but it's definitely not just sticking - when it won't release, you can tug as hard as you like and it won't release, it's definitely the catch. Hoping to have time to investigate later today.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Sorted :-)

Both were done up properly, but the release catch springy plastic bit seemed to have straightened out somewhat, possibly it caught once then tugging hard on it in an attempt to release made it worse. I bent it back a few times and it now releases properly. If the problem re-occurs, I now know it's just that bit I need if it's available separately, otherwise a new block.

Thanks for the help.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The release lever has a small area to catch the bag frame. If this protrudes too far, unscrew it. There should be a washer behind to help it protrude. Maybe a thinner one would solve the problem. Without the washer, the bag can jump right off,.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

So far the above seems to have cured it, but will investigate washers if it happens again, thanks.

Top Bottom