Brompton bike new or old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ads69

Hello to everyone. I need some help with the purchase of used Bromton bike .2006 m6r condition very good price $1400cnd,or purchase new around 2300 taxes including.Thank you

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What kind of help do you need?

OP
OP
A

Ads69

I think around 800 British pound it's ok?Or the bike is too old ? From the pictures the bike looks good .Thank you

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bromptons in the UK hold their prices better than any other bike.

Appears to be the same in Canada, although $1,400 looks quite a lot for one that's 11 years old.

The design of a Brompton doesn't change a lot, so a new one wouldn't be so different to the one you are thinking of buying.

OP
OP
A

Ads69

Bromptons in the UK hold their prices better than any other bike.

Appears to be the same in Canada, although $1,400 looks quite a lot for one that's 11 years old.

The design of a Brompton doesn't change a lot, so a new one wouldn't be so different to the one you are thinking of buying.
Thank you.Very hard to find use Brompton here and not to many Brompton dealers.I think 2-3 and the price new here is 2000$ without taxes

OP
OP
A

Ads69

My dilemma is if I overpaying for the bike (the price is firm) and after the purchase find some issues

12boy

Guru
The 2000 price is close to a new M6L in the US. Unless you are able to eyeball it and tell how used it is, a new one might not cost much more in the long run. If the rear hinge is worn, needs tires, hubs or has some serious rust the used bike could cost more, not even considering how easy it would be to get it to someone who could work on it. If you are new to these bikes and it is possible, riding different models and seeing what works for you could be worth your while.

OP
OP
A

Ads69

The 2000 price is close to a new M6L in the US. Unless you are able to eyeball it and tell how used it is, a new one might not cost much more in the long run. If the rear hinge is worn, needs tires, hubs or has some serious rust the used bike could cost more, not even considering how easy it would be to get it to someone who could work on it. If you are new to these bikes and it is possible, riding different models and seeing what works for you could be worth your while.
Thank you,I will go tomorrow morning to see the bike .l try to make him go down to$1100-1200 but is firm at $1400

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum. For that kind of price difference, I would buy new. It means I can choose the colour, get exactly the right build, have the reassurance of the warranty and not be worrying which component is on its last legs.

mitchibob

Über Member
Welcome to the forum. For that kind of price difference, I would buy new. It means I can choose the colour, get exactly the right build, have the reassurance of the warranty and not be worrying which component is on its last legs.

I have to agree. I've bought two new bromptons in the last couple of years, and rented various age bikes, and just the improvements between the 2016 and 2018 model show that they really are making nice incremental improvements to a decent design. If I could afford it, I'd get a new one, choose the colour and components, etc. Some components that need changing for me, they don't do as options (e.g. pedals and grips were first to be replaced, although between 2016 and 2018 they made the grips much easier to replace at least).

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
An 11 year old bike has one nasty up it's sleeve for you, when the front chainring wears out it's a big bill as the chainring is integral to crank, on modern ones it isn't.. it also uses a different bottom bracket and you will need to change the chain and rear sprockets...

Top Bottom