Brompton crank snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The only time I have had a crank break has been on my touring bicycle, after about 75000 miles! My Bromptons have had no failures other than within the hub gears, or worn rims. I suspect that how you use your machine has a lot to do with its reliability. Mine have been heavily used for cycle-camping tours, now totalling over 12000 miles, much in hilly regions like Wales or Scotland. My total Brompton mileage is well over 37000. Incidentally, the cranks are made by Stronglight for Brompton.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've had a Brompton crank break - my best guess is that it got bashed at some stage, and being aluminium eventually failed catastrophically. As long as you're not badly hurt it doesn't matter too much - it's an easily replaceable part.

chris folder

Hi I have seen a few bromptom bikes where the sticker on the bikes frame has bubbles showing where bromptom are not sticking the stickers on properly they not sticking stickers on right the skicker should not have bubbles showing

OP
OP
P

Pseudo

I've had a Brompton crank break - my best guess is that it got bashed at some stage, and being aluminium eventually failed catastrophically. As long as you're not badly hurt it doesn't matter too much - it's an easily replaceable part.

I'm wondering if that's what's happened to mine. It has fallen over onto its left hand side quite a few times. And aluminium is rather susceptible metal fatigue.

chris folder

Hi when your rideing brompton on a uneven ground or Stoney area the bumping from back wheel though rubber suspension is in a way like hitting bike non stop with a small rubber hammer can see after long use the frame cracks

roundthebendbromcycle

I had one break about 8 years ago, riding up a railway crossing in the dark, thought it was the pedal, I was so proud, but also very pissed. I used to go out for 60 mile rides, so I guess it had done perhaps 5,000 miles. I upgraded to a mountain drive system which came with much stronger cranks. Its not quite the brompton legend is it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi when your rideing brompton on a uneven ground or Stoney area the bumping from back wheel though rubber suspension is in a way like hitting bike non stop with a small rubber hammer can see after long use the frame cracks
Really though? I don't think you've thought that through...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Its not quite the brompton legend is it.
Like most legendary characters the Brompton is flawed. Specifically in tow ways; slavish adherence to backwards compatibility & not so nice componentry bought in to finish the bikes, which are built down to a price not up to a specification; cranks, chainrings, grips, and in recent memory brake levers and brake callipers.

I love my B; but until I upgraded it I only liked it.

RMurphy195

I'm inclined to agree that it probably had a knock at some stage. This is the problem with alloy - it doesn't always bend when you wack it, it can get a hairline crack that can only be picked up by x-rays or some such, but it will weaken and fail over time- I guess water can creep in (and salt in Winter), corrosion starts, then suddenly one day it goes. Did you say that part of the break on yours was dirty?

Something to remember if you buy a used car that's been kerbed hard - maybe the buckled wheel and bent track rods were replaced but not the alloy hub carrier!

rootes

Hiya came across this thread randomly

I do hope you are not claiming this clearly impressive display of strength as your own jefcmg? ;-)

That pic is actually of my first Brompton which broke on the way to Clapham Junction back August 2009!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sitrickett/3841610383/in/photostream/

back home
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sitrickett/3842402854/in/photostream/

could fully fold for the train haha!

Brompton where good with warranty and since that age of frame the altered the design and materials in that area to prevent this failure.

You are strong. Like bull.

Here's your next challenge.

3841610383_699f4b2173.jpg

Attachments

• 3841610383_699f4b2173.jpg
    3841610383_699f4b2173.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 134
Top Bottom