Brompton Double Chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BromptonChrispy

Thanks to the contributors who helped me with a simple but very effective modification, particularly
Fab Foodie, The Doctor, and Pale Rider.

As I had no "bits-box chain-sets" I bought a new Stronglight 50/34 with 170mm cranks - same as the Brompton stock on my 2014 S6L with JIS taper BB.

Cheapest new (read "non scrap useable") I found was from Cycle Clinic £70, free quick delivery though.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/produc...mpact-double-chainset-9-10-speed-square-taper

Straight trouble free swap.

Using an online calculator, I now have 2 lower gears:
Standard 50tooth with SWR hub gears - 33.1", 40.7", 52", 63.8, 81.3", 100".
Using 34 tooth, (greasy fingers* method) - 22.5", 27.7" 35.3", 43.4", 55.3", 68".

n.b.my 2017 Genesis tourer, triple ringer only goes down to 25.6". *bit of old black cloth works wonders
The chain length is as was - stock. I can fold the bike with the chain on the 34T without it coming off if I'm careful but have to get the pedals in their correct fold position beforehand as the chain fouls itself (as it were :eek:) on the tensioner. Practice is the key to this.

Interestingly, the pedals seem slightly wider which helps my clumsy heel-catching of the Eezy-wheels.

Anyway my ride along a towpath with some short steep cobbly ramps was brill this morning, and my "low-tech rear triangle anti rattle device" (home made bungy loop 8mm diameter cord) also works a treat.

Hope this is of some use and thanks again to the OP!

upload_2018-8-6_13-59-21.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-6_13-58-39.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-6_13-58-39.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 128
    206.4 KB · Views: 128
    180.4 KB · Views: 195
    158.1 KB · Views: 149

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chain's a bit shiny! And liking the green frame.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It being a bicycle - and a Brompton - I would have expected more niggles and complications.

Tidy job, nicely done.

BromptonFan

Thanks to the contributors who helped me with a simple but very effective modification, particularly
Fab Foodie, The Doctor, and Pale Rider.

As I had no "bits-box chain-sets" I bought a new Stronglight 50/34 with 170mm cranks - same as the Brompton stock on my 2014 S6L with JIS taper BB.

Cheapest new (read "non scrap useable") I found was from Cycle Clinic £70, free quick delivery though.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/produc...mpact-double-chainset-9-10-speed-square-taper

Straight trouble free swap.

Using an online calculator, I now have 2 lower gears:
Standard 50tooth with SWR hub gears - 33.1", 40.7", 52", 63.8, 81.3", 100".
Using 34 tooth, (greasy fingers* method) - 22.5", 27.7" 35.3", 43.4", 55.3", 68".

n.b.my 2017 Genesis tourer, triple ringer only goes down to 25.6". *bit of old black cloth works wonders
The chain length is as was - stock. I can fold the bike with the chain on the 34T without it coming off if I'm careful but have to get the pedals in their correct fold position beforehand as the chain fouls itself (as it were :eek:) on the tensioner. Practice is the key to this.

Interestingly, the pedals seem slightly wider which helps my clumsy heel-catching of the Eezy-wheels.

Anyway my ride along a towpath with some short steep cobbly ramps was brill this morning, and my "low-tech rear triangle anti rattle device" (home made bungy loop 8mm diameter cord) also works a treat.

Hope this is of some use and thanks again to the OP!

View attachment 422939 View attachment 422940 View attachment 422942 View attachment 422941

What does the cord around the seat post do?

OP
OP
BromptonChrispy

BromptonChrispy

Hi there, its a bungee loop..it stops the rear triangle rattling when I ride on the cobble bits of towpath etc where I live. The hook rattles on the catch as it loads and offloads over the bumps. I hate rattles on my bikes.......Just loop it round the from wheel - seat post - wheel and the bungee keeps it all rattle free. Simply remove to fold. If I’m riding on roads it’s not really necessary. 8mm diameter cord, eBay, about 99p. Loop diameter - bit smaller than the big chainring.

Last edited:

gom

Über Member
Got me up Monsal Head from the valley, but I don’t think anyone noticed :sad:

12boy

Guru
What BCD is the crank? I tried a 24 to go with my 58/38 combo with a 110 BCD crank made for a triple chainring but the 24 wouldn't let it fold. Otherwise it worked fine. 58 26 would be ideal for me.... I rarely use the 38 but for serious grades, especially with a headwind, 26 teeth would be great. It looks like you have drilled out the crankarms for the 26 with 78 BCD spacing.

gom

Über Member
BCD = 80mm.
It's a SPECIALITES T.A, bought from Spa Cycles 10-15 years ago. It did not work with the original bottom bracket, so I gave the chainset & bike to a local shop and asked them to fit a BB that worked. No problem with folding now. I think the original BB meant the new rings were too close, which it looks like would block folding, but I'm not sure I could even get them fully seated on the spindle.

Have thought about trying to fit a front changer, as it used to be possible to source something. No idea if any options for this are still available.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BCD = 80mm.
It's a SPECIALITES T.A, bought from Spa Cycles 10-15 years ago. It did not work with the original bottom bracket, so I gave the chainset & bike to a local shop and asked them to fit a BB that worked. No problem with folding now. I think the original BB meant the new rings were too close, which it looks like would block folding, but I'm not sure I could even get them fully seated on the spindle.

Have thought about trying to fit a front changer, as it used to be possible to source something. No idea if any options for this are still available.
It can be done but you need to cut-off the rear if rve derailleur cage.

Top Bottom