Brompton for beginners questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
One reason why three of my five bikes have hub gears; 3 spd., 5 spd., & 8 spd Sturmeys. In colder winters, I've experienced ice building up on the cassette which then makes shifting difficult - unless you frequently clear the ice which on a longish commute is a pain.

In London, with global warming, I'm thinking this wont be a problem. Although I have experienced slow shifts in heavy rain that I didn't with the hub gear. I'm still happier overall with the 2-speed though.

It is easy to reattach the chain tensioner in such a way that you can still pedal, but no longer change gear, and if you try and fold the bike, the chain falls off, but I reckon you only do that once ;-)

simonsch

I have a 6-speed with the -12% gearing. Which I got mostly so that I can get off the train on the way home one stop earlier in Guildford, and head up Farnham Rd hill (cat 4) to cut through to home. However, it turns out that I have never even got into the lowest gear - I use 2 and 3 on the way up. At the same time, I haven't felt the need for a higher gear than 6. I actually think the gearing ratio set is too wide even for hilly Surrey... (I frequently find however that I am limit cycling between 4 and 5 and would appreciate something in between...)

12boy

Guru
I bought a 1 speed (12-52) and later added a 177% 3 speed (14 tooth cog), and later yet found that if I went with a 130 BCD chain ring I could add a 38 tooth chain ring. In terms of cost and weight I could have simply a 2 speed and had a fairly wide gear ration with a lot less weight. Of course, the 38 and the 3 speed I get a low gear that is very low.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I'm surprised Brompton haven't offered a 20" wheel version - yes it would be slightly larger but the ride would be so much better - I guess with Brompton sales through the roof they have no need to launch new products

reppans

I'm surprised Brompton haven't offered a 20" wheel version - yes it would be slightly larger but the ride would be so much better - I guess with Brompton sales through the roof they have no need to launch new products

I don't know, I really like Brompton's formula. After matching the suspension block for my weight well, I find it is just as comfortable as my 700x32 CX/gravel bike, or 20" Big Apple Dahon. The small size and versatility of Brompton's fold, however, just leaves everything else behind (or left at home).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's maybe because Bromptons are designed specifically for multi-mode commuting. If you increase the folded size then it won't fit in as many of the nooks and crannies on a train that it currently does fit. There's plenty of people making 20 inch wheel bikes, but I think Brompton have found their niche and are happy to own that space.

Last edited:

simonsch

It's maybe because Bromptons are designed specifically for multi-mode commuting. If you increase the folded size then it won't fit in a many of the nooks and crannies on a tran that it currently does fit. There's plenty of people making 20 inch wheel bikes, but I think Brompton have found their niche and are happy to own that space.

Yes, I think Brompton have really got the formula pretty much right, they have after all been carefully optimising for years, and it is really a very clever design on which every minor point has clearly been thought about very carefully. I WOULD say that they are a little over-engineered though - they make a point of saying that a 120kg guy can just get on and run off a kerb on it. Well, fine, but I am 73 kg and would happily trade off a little of that robustness for a slightly lighter bike.

12boy

Guru
I really like the solid feeling my Brompton has. If it were basically the same but made out of some lighter/stronger alloy i would be pleased with the loss but I don't think I would prefer a lighter frame made for hi-ten steel or whatever the Bromptons are made from.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Funnily enough, I have ridden a bike with pivots in the frame. Perfectly doable, though it looks terrifying. Wobbly John of this parish built it for Hilldodger IIRC.
Personally, I like the fact that Brommie can take a rider of, shall we say, a traditional build, combined with luggage and a half-case of wine. Not that I'm a fat bugger with an incipient drink problem or anything, but I'd sooner have over-engineered than fragility.

reppans

I don't mind the Brompton's weight, in the mere 7 months that I've owned it, it has been carried further than all my other bikes combined, (incl. a 10 y.o. Dahon). The compact, tightly locked package means I can flip it upside down and carry it 5-gallon-water-cooler-jug-style on top my shoulder, which makes it feel like half its weight. I can carry it through my entire home at a normal walking pace - narrow hallways, stairs, and a free hand to open/close doors, included.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Funnily enough, I have ridden a bike with pivots in the frame. Perfectly doable, though it looks terrifying. Wobbly John of this parish built it for Hilldodger IIRC.
Personally, I like the fact that Brommie can take a rider of, shall we say, a traditional build, combined with luggage and a half-case of wine. Not that I'm a fat bugger with an incipient drink problem or anything, but I'd sooner have over-engineered than fragility.

Just that, I'm not thin and knowing that I can do the weekend shopping and get it all in the T-pannier is great. I've had 3 cases of beer in there without it affecting the steering, you need frame-fixed luggage for that.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The Marathon Plus are pretty indestructable in use, but I don't envy the guy at Warlands who will be trying to get a pair onto the carbon rims I just got....

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do you also get the standard Marathon tyres in Brompton size? That's what I have on my normal bike and it seems to be a good compromise between protection versus pain in the neck to put on, weight.

Top Bottom