Brompton for beginners questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
after a bit more tinkering, I've noticed a large number of very 'cheap' parts on my £1075 bike. Also all the cables don't have any grease and are already notchy and noisey before I've even been for a ride so they wont last long once I'm out in the rain. Also the chainring has an awful bend in it - this would clearly have been spotted at some point during assembly but has made it through anyway - £25 for a replacement or a whole load of hassle on warranty. Quite happy but disappointed at the same time. Set-up was the usual BS from manufacutuers/retail shop - couldn't even be arsed to align the brake pads, handlebars or even pump the tyres beyond 50 psi

The tyre does indeed rub. As suggested, get some helicopter tape now and find all the bits where there's rub (both folded / unfolded!) and put some on, will save you longer-term pain.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
more new-owner questions: the brake calipers seem cheap - it appears that they don't have a Q/R mechanism, and the pads don't hit the rims evenly but unlike Shimano pads that have a cone shape washer, these don't have any adjustment
I'm also having trouble with the seatpost slipping down - I've tightened the nut as much as I dare but it still slips

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Might be a bit late, but I found the standard gearing on the 6 speed I bought very over-geared.
Maybe I'm just more comfortable with spinning in a lower gear than plodding in a higher, but I almost never use the top gear, and find I'm expending more energy than I'd like on some fairly minor hills. If I was doing it again, I'd get the lower gear option. Obviously I could buy a smaller chainring.

If I rode it more, I'd be very tempted to get the 8 speed conversion and ditch the BWD.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That conversion may introduce you to a whole 'nother world of pain. Several threads on here with experiences, including my own. If you're still keen, go with Tiller, not Kinetics.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't ride it enough to warrant such an expensive outlay, but I might buy a smaller chainring instead.

Kell

Veteran
Yes, much easier and cheaper, quicker to fit -- and no effect on the fold.

By that, I take it the 8-speed conversion does affect the fold?

By that, I take it the 8-speed conversion does affect the fold?
The fold and a helluva lot of functional things as well. You spend a lot of time installing (and then removing) various spacers, maybe even your bottom bracket, other crap, back and forth. Fix one problem, create another. Not every kit is exactly the same. Ben doesn't answer the phone (famous for it, actually), when he does he says "hmmm, that's a problem for some bikes/kits, not others - not really sure what to suggest for yours". A real PITA. Not worth it.

Just part of my tale -- I never got round to doing a follow-up but the end result is that I jettisoned the whole thing and went with a JTEK 3-speed wheelset from SJS. In my blog post I included links to a succession of blog posts by the guy who writes the Pedalitis blog. After a lot of time and money, he got a result he was happy with but he had to figure out the solutions step-by-step on his own. There is also at least one CC thread on this - will dig it out shortly.

Kell

Veteran
Ah yes, i remember that thread now.

I came across an SA 5 speed hub on Bike Gang's website the other day.

Do you know if anyone's fitted one of those? Seemed to be a fairly cheap way of getting 10 speeds.

Kell

Veteran
I can't link directly to the Bike Gang page for some reason, but this was the kit:

305497588.jpg

305497575.jpg

305497577.jpg

305497576.jpg

At £121, plus a rim, spokes and rebuild, it wouldn't work out that much more expense than a new rear wheel and, hopefully, give an extra 4 gears if everything goes together properly.

Top Bottom