Brompton front wheel cones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have on older front wheel with single wall rims and noticed a tiny bit of pitting on the cones. Does anyone know of a source for the cones? Shame to replace a wheel when everything else is good. Haven't checked on bearing availability and if they are some odd size a source for them would be good too. Another instance, I suppose, of proprietary parts being a pain in the patoot.

fixedfixer

Veteran
SJSC usually has stuff - but I think you'd be better investing in a whole new wheel.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=brompton+hub+parts

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
I have ordered another wheel and should get it it fairly soon, but I would like to have the old one usable for a while, if for no other reason to have a studded tire set for icy days I can just pop on and off. The single wall wheel has worked very well except for the cone issue and I wonder why the double wall is so much better. Is it lighter or some other advantage? A\re they any harder to fit tires to? guess i will find out fairly soon.

OP
OP
12boy

12boy

Guru
Thanks for your help. After contacting all 4 of the Brompton dealers in the US I found one who is sending me a virtually unused axle and fixins for 17.00. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

Top Bottom